Unsolved Citadel Mysteries

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Cloud Strife
The Original Roleplay Creator/Moderator

Re: Unsolved Citadel Mysteries

Post#11 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:40 am

You know what saddens me? And this has happened to me alot over the years is losing all of those things to the blackhole of the internet. And, my one gripe with the internet wayback machine is it doesn't capture every single page.

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#12 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 am

I always thought VA just disagreed with the banning and that was why she drifted. It was a big controversial thing at the time and to many marked an authoritarian turn.

I'm pretty sure VA I talked to off the board, but Chester I did not; just enjoyed his posts. She was always going through personal stuff though. Her exit might not actually be related.

And wow, you really do remember me Cloud!

Anybody get out of him why he did that? I just miss what this place used to be. I find myself just reading the old forum and then coming here btw and just wondering, what if.

So two things happened. Since EZboard had these two seperate types of accounts (global and local), we decided we should all register the local versions of our accounts. Since Ambigore was away for an extended period, I decided I should take it upon myself to place-hold it. I then proceeded to forget about it until sometime later when I realized it had admin.

Things are fuzzy from there until the emails Ambigore mentioned.

Email spoofing was something I had recently learned to do (I was 14) and so I was excited for a real-world application. Those were sent to get Cyrus to restore admin to the local account I had. I don't know if at that point it was even known it had been my account, or not. Like Ambi said, he came back pretty much during the incident while it was happening.

What I can't remember:

1. How it came to be found out that I had this local account at all, or that anything was amiss regarding who had admin powers. Obviously, I must have done something with it, but what?

2. What I expected to accomplish by using the spoofed emails to have it restored. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure I was being a mischievous teen.

3. How the local account, and spoofed emails, were connected to me. In theory, they shouldn't have been, because I didn't post under Ambigore's name or anything like that. Did I do a mea culpa and fess up?

How this relates to your banning, I can still only assume came up because I thought Seph and SOLDIER were the same person using two accounts to support his own arguments, and was pushing that issue. You and your buddy wouldn't have been my intended targets, but collateral damage, if you will. Apologies, again!

You know what saddens me? And this has happened to me alot over the years is losing all of those things to the blackhole of the internet. And, my one gripe with the internet wayback machine is it doesn't capture every single page.

Indeed, so many conversations were lost to the sands of time. I was thinking about that when looking at the Wayback images of past boards in the other thread. If we had been on Usenet instead, we could have had it all preserved by Google.
Last edited by DeathScythe on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

Cloud Strife

Post#13 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:35 am

Hmm. I got a pretty good damn memory. I remember people I went to elementary school, by year, school and teachers we had.

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#14 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:34 am

Well, for what it's worth Cloud, I'm glad you're still here after all of these years, and that the Citadel was a significant factor in your life just like it was mine.

It's actually a relief to know that you do remember me at all, even if it's for something negative.

And I can't stress enough, that I apologize for directly or indirectly doing anything that led to you being banned. Obviously, that was some authoritarian nonsense. I was a self-interested brat, for the lack of a better term.

Cloud Strife

Post#15 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:39 am

Its cool, what I did upon my unbanning sealed my faith for a time. And, of course. This forum was the one that popped my forum cherry so the place held a special place in my 14 year old heart. And, yes being banned and ripped from being able to run the rpg here was a bitter pill for me to swallow.

I do say without this place I would be a different person I believe. So, I say I wouldn't change a thing save for not being so angry with everyone and saying what I said to Taryn which was out of line and way out of bounds. I am glad she accepted my apology I sent her via email before I returned here. If she had not accepted it I would have never returned. I am grateful she forgave me.
Last edited by Cloud Strife on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth9611

Post#16 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:15 pm

DeathScythe wrote:I always thought VA just disagreed with the banning and that was why she drifted. It was a big controversial thing at the time and to many marked an authoritarian turn.

Do you remember then why Chester was banned? I never learned why and still wonder.

For old Citadel pages at Geocities, you could try the Geocities repositories that are around.

https://www.metafilter.com/124711/These ... nstruction Check the links in this thread too for other archives.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Cloud Strife

Post#17 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:23 pm

I believe VA left cause of Solid Snake actually..

SOLDIERofficer81

Post#18 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:38 pm

I have no idea who Solid Snake is. :(
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Cloud Strife

Post#19 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am

One of the guys that got banned with me for the same IP. Apparently he was talking to Vincent Angel and messing with the citadel during my absence from the site. At this point in time I was on other forums and was never privy to their relationship, it's context or how he was messing with the site. I didn't condone whatever it was he was doing infact asking him to stop.
Last edited by Cloud Strife on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#20 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Do you remember then why Chester was banned? I never learned why and still wonder.

Off topic posts, if I recall correctly. He'd post unrelated comments on topics, often insane, often hilarious. I thought he was harmless, he didn't start flame wars or anything IIRC.

The very fact that we were able to have a forum debate on his banning, with multiple people on either side, was evidence enough that he should probably not be banned, as I look back on it.

I believe VA left cause of Solid Snake actually..

One of the guys that got banned with me for the same IP. Apparently he was talking to Vincent Angel and messing with the citadel during my absence from the site. At this point in time I was on other forums and was never privy to their relationship, it's context or how he was messing with the site. I didn't condone whatever it was he was doing infact asking him to stop.

Wow, now I remember you! I guess I decided Solid Snake was the real one of the two of you, because that's what I committed to memory. I have vague memories of there being an IP issue, but mostly I remember the RP posts, and him eventually becoming a part of the banned list.

Now, I'm very curious because of the time frame, but what do you know about what he was doing to "mess with the site"? I might know something. Were they....strange things?

Return to “General Discussion”