The FFVII for PC Technical Support Thread

Suggestions, feedback, technical support, and general queries relating to the site and/or forums go here.
R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

The FFVII for PC Technical Support Thread

Post#1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 pm

This is essentially the same thread as the one at the old forums: one dedicated to technical issues surrounding Final Fantasy VII for the PC. If you are having trouble running the game in any version of Windows, and with any hardware configuration, this thread is meant to address those concerns.

Here are the basics for getting FFVII to run in newer versions of Windows (2000 and higher). You will need:
  • The Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit. This can be installed at any time. After FFVII is installed, set ff7.exe to run in either Windows 95 or Windows 98 compatibility mode.
  • The following patches, directly available on the Citadel's Downloads page: ff7betap1.exe or codecmaj.exe, and the Chocobo Patch. After FFVII is installed, simply run these patches and you should be good to go.
Most major problems can be solved by taking these steps.

Square Enix has additional files and patches in case you need them, all of which are available here (just use your browser's search function and look for "Final Fantasy"; they should show up fairly quickly). In addition to ff7beta1.exe, these files include save games for use in skipping certain FMVs and patches specifically for laptops, and computers with Cyrix processors.

This support thread, by the way, is for the official retail version of FFVII PC, originally published by Eidos in multiple languages. Although the Citadel does not condone piracy of this game, at the same time I realize that it has long been out of print (and therefore, very difficult to find otherwise); however, from a technical standpoint, there are no guarantees that these will work using a pirated copy of the game.

If you are having additional problems, please list them below so that your fellow forum members can help you out. Of course, if you have any tips, additional patches, etc., those are welcome too ^_^ Suggestions for enhancement patches, such as those that improve the graphics, music, etc., are also valid for this thread, but should be clearly marked as being optional. Discussion of FFVII for the PS1, whether or not it is related to emulation, is forbidden in this thread.

Finally, DO NOT PM ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS WITH FFVII PC. Believe it or not, there are some issues that I can't help people with (especially if they involve any version of Windows that's newer than XP SP3). This thread was made so that anyone can offer help to those who need it.

R. Kasahara
Forums Admin

Addendum

Post#2 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 am

If you are having problems with the new downloadable version of FFVII PC, you are welcome to post your concerns here as well, but please specify which version of the game you are talking about. Thanks!

angaso

FF7 PC HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Post#3 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I need help with ff7 for the pc. i cant seem to get it to work. every time i install it it loads up and freezes during the first battle. :\

R. Kasahara
Forums Admin

Re: The FFVII for PC Technical Support Thread

Post#4 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Moved your post :P

Are you playing the original FFVII PC on disk or the downloadable version from Square Enix?

Truckerhat13

Post#5 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:21 pm

i actually need help with the sephiroth patch, i downloaded it and read the readme. however when i click on the TOOLS.EXE i get a message saying "this app cant run on your pc, to find a version compatible check with the software publisher." i am running windows 10 if that helps.

R. Kasahara
Forums Admin

Post#6 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:09 am

Truckerhat13 wrote:i actually need help with the sephiroth patch, i downloaded it and read the readme. however when i click on the TOOLS.EXE i get a message saying "this app cant run on your pc, to find a version compatible check with the software publisher." i am running windows 10 if that helps.

Oh dear, it might just be outdated at this point ^^;;;

I can try it out on my machine (haven't installed it in years), but I use Windows 8.1, so that probably wouldn't help. Have you tried asking about this at Qhimm's forums? They're the experts when it comes to this sort of thing.

Truckerhat13

Post#7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:02 pm

i have not yet as i am new to this xD, but i am checking there forums right now.

Return to “Support and Feedback”