Who would survive?

A place to discuss religious, political and any other serious issues. Those who are easily offended are asked to steer clear.

Moderator: The Slider

SOLDIERofficer81

Who would survive?

Post#1 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Who would survive? That's an interesting question. I would predict . . . convicts and file clerks. The worst convicts. Those deep down in solitary confinement. And the most ordinary file clerks. Probably for large insurance companies, because they would be in fire-proof rooms, protected by tons of the best insulator in the world: paper. And imagine what will happen. The small group of vicious criminals will fight the army of file clerks for the remaining means of life. The convicts will know violence, but the file clerks will know organization. Who do think'll win?
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Sephiroth9611

Re: Who would survive?

Post#2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 am

How do they get out of solitary? I've always wondered that when the professor has given that talk in the movie.

I do think that the file clerks, being educated men, will know more and better how to survive in the post nuclear world.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

SOLDIERofficer81

Post#3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 am

I always assume the file clerks would somehow manage to harness the convicts a la the Sardaukar.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#4 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 am

What movie is this from?

I think I would survive, and people like me.
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Sephiroth9611

Post#5 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:39 pm

The Slider wrote:What movie is this from?

I think I would survive, and people like me.

Fail Safe from 1964. In the beginning, the professor, played by Walter Matthau, is talking to a room full of socialites about his theories of how a nuclear war would play out, what SOLDIER quoted above.

I had not considered the file clerks harnessing the convicts. Interesting.

Slider, how would you characterize people like you?
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#6 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks, I'll have check out that movie

Pessimistic people, who have a tendency to be prudent & resourceful, who keep physically fit, who like to explore, who know how to fit in when needed or disappear when not.

I guess it depends on the type of world though, I'm thinking of it from a semi-lawless, not a lot of people left type of scenario
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Sephiroth9611

Post#7 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Slider:

You should. It is definitely a classic of its time. Lots of great actors.

I think any post nuclear world would be pretty lawless. Even if the cities survive, the EMPs will probably make modern technology useless outside of the hardened bunkers. Those who survive the radiation, but who can't make fire, find clean water, and gather food are going to die off quick.

Return to “Serious Discussion”