Internet censorship

A place to discuss religious, political and any other serious issues. Those who are easily offended are asked to steer clear.

Moderator: The Slider

Clidus
Site Admin

Internet censorship

Post#1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:14 pm

I wrote a post on the proposed internet censhorship in the UK. I'd love to hear your opinions.
http://www.clidus.com/blog/2013/8/17/david-cameron-is-going-to-censor-the-internet-and-he-doesnt.html

SOLDIERofficer81
Unflinching Android Mode: OFF

Re: Internet censorship

Post#2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Your post has valid concerns and it made me interested enough to read it to the end.

1. "Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention, but when did Britain become China?" Maybe it's not obvious on the inside until it hits something close to home for you (internet censorship). But looking in from the outside, it's my opinion that the UK has been "becoming China" for a long time. Nineteen Eighty-Four was written by an Englishman over 60 years ago.

2. I'm not at all surprised that your MP and other MPs gave the responses they did. I find your digression about the system and how it's not working for you to be very interesting. Over here in the States, we write our senators and congressmen and even the president. But I think a lot of people would be more apt to protesting in a very loud and public way to get their point across rather than relying on "the system", rather than relying on direct contact with career politicians.
Last edited by SOLDIERofficer81 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Sephiroth9611

Post#3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:55 pm

I hate David Cameron and his cronies. I only disliked Blair and Brown and Labour. They were Labour, can't fault them for doing their thing. But David is betraying the Conservative Party with his schizophrenic policies. He and his Etonian man-child friends need to just go away.

The only way he can redeem himself is if he allows a true referendum on the EU.

Reading your post at your blog, you make excellent points. One thing though. Your lament over your feeling that your MP doesn't care is understandable, however...

Back when I was a political science student in university, we learned about the UK system and its similarities to and differences from the US system. One of the major differences is that MPs are much less independent than their counterparts in the US. It doesn't surprise me that there is a standard Conservative form letter on a given issue for MPs to send out to their constituents. If I were you, I'd see if I could find out if my MP is going to be around the constituency in a public forum and then go ask questions. If you get the brush-off there, then you have your true answer. Time for more direct action with a flash mob!

Have you thought about contacting some of the Lords? Back in the day, their function was to put a brake on stupid stuff like this coming out of the House of Commons.
"Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."
Since October 3rd, 2000 | An old Citadel board

Cloud Strife

Post#4 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 am

I believe censorship even here in America on the internet is being tested. I disagree with the whole thought of censoring the internet as I do believe if it isn't breaking any laws it should be left alone. Personally we have censorship everywhere else, TV, Movies, I mean to get a PG-13 rating in the theaters here you can only say fuck once, whereas in a rap song you might here fuck 37 times but you can still buy it no problem.

I think the issue to censor the internet has more to do with controlling us from being exposed to the truth they don't want us to find or to even have a voice to protest to begin with or be creative. After all, they did cut all funding for Public Access channels in the US unless it's government mandated. I believe the idea is massive control and I firmly am against it. I mean yeah we do write our senators and stuff but the reality is if it doesn't help big money corporations who fund most of these people's campaigns then what we say doesn't matter. I believe the internet shouldn't be censored anywhere. Because after all we are already pretty much censored everywhere else.

Return to “Serious Discussion”