Paid Organ Donor Schemes

A place to discuss religious, political and any other serious issues. Those who are easily offended are asked to steer clear.

Moderator: The Slider

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Paid Organ Donor Schemes

Post#1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:04 am

One of the pieces I wrote for my Health Economics subject two years ago was centered on payment for organ donors; from an economic sense I argued in favour for. It was an interesting exercise to purely look at the topic from a financial perspective as opposed to an ethical one. Certainly, one thing that was clear from the literature was that those waiting for organ transplants - most notably, end stage renal disease patients who otherwise require regular dialysis - are a huge financial burden on health services around the world.

Expanding from a purely economical sense and bringing in other factors, would you support and reject a paid organ donation scheme? Does your country already have such a scheme?
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

SOLDIERofficer81
Unflinching Android Mode: OFF

Re: Paid Organ Donor Schemes

Post#2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Yes, I think I support a paid organ donation scheme. My only concerns are that the donors aren't abused while at the same time, they can't abuse the system. I hate to say it, since I would prefer market forces to be at work. But I think, price controls would be necessary? So that the price of an organ doesn't spiral out of control?
Last edited by SOLDIERofficer81 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Sephiroth9611

Re: Paid Organ Donor Schemes

Post#3 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:03 pm

I will have to think about this and consult some sources. I can't divorce myself from the ethical considerations. However, while I do agree with SOLDIER in that some kind of price control would be needed, I can't get past the idea that once government (or whatever third party one has in mind) is invited in to moderate things, it'll just end up picking winners and losers like it always does.
"Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."
Since October 3rd, 2000 | An old Citadel board

Return to “Serious Discussion”