The Next Generation

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
SOLDIERofficer81
Unflinching Android Mode: OFF

The Next Generation

Post#1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:33 am

I was at the mall today. At Game Shop, I found out about the Aliens: Coloniai Marines game coming out next year for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360. I'm still playing on my PS2 and my PC is a few years old now. I need a recommendation on what I should invest in to play this game on.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Re: The Next Generation

Post#2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 am

It pretty much comes down to what exclusives you will want to eventually play on whatever system you get. Basically:

- 360: shooters, Kinect games, Western RPGs (Halo series, Gears of War series, Dance Central, Fable series, etc.)
- PS3: JRPGs, action/adventure games, quirky stuff (Disgaea series, Uncharted series, Journey, Tokyo Jungle, etc.)
- WiiU: Nintendo games, party games, family-friendly stuff, quirky stuff (all Nintendo series, etc.)

Some other points to consider:

- The PS3 and WiiU both have download services with tons of retrogames; there's some on the 360, but not as much, I don't think. All three also carry downloadable indie games.
- The WiiU and 360 are backwards compatible with the Wii and original Xbox respectively. I don't think the PS3 has backwards compatibility in it anymore.
- Some multiplatform games are better on one system than another. If exclusives don't matter so much, you might want to look into which system will get the best version of Aliens: Colonial Marines. This information should hopefully be easy to find after the game comes out.

Also, how do the minimum system requirements for the Windows version compare with your current PC setup? Depending on that, upgrading parts might not cost a whole lot.

That's all I can think of for right now.

(Oh, and not to hijack SOLDIER's thread, but I need a recommendation as well: 3DS or 3DS XL? Etrian Odyssey IV is coming out next year, you see :eyeshift: )

Clidus
Site Admin

Post#3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:39 pm

The PS3 can still play PSone discs, but not PS2.

The WiiU is so much of an unknown that I wouldn't even consider it yet, unless you know your going to buy it for Nintendo. As you don't own a Wii, I'm guessing you're not that bothered.

As far as 360 vs PS3, they are pretty on par with each other. Both have great exclusives, both retail disc and downloadable. You really need to have a look at the catalogue of each and pick which has the most games you're interested in. 360 still has the superior online service if you care about that, but you have to pay for it. Both support online services like netflix and hulu and have their own proprietary movie rental services. PS3 can play DVDs and blu-ray. 360 can only do DVD.

Reeve, get an XL. It's a much better device than the 3DS. The 3D is still lame (I have it off most the time), but the larger screen is awesome. My only issue with the XL is the volume slider is easily knocked by your hand. The 3DS catalogue is starting to get quite good, so defiantly worth looking at.

BlueJay

Post#4 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:54 pm

I never got a 360 or PS3. I could never decide which is better. Most things end up porting to the PC though (such as the excellent Mass Effect series), and that's what I've stayed active on. The drawback is I've been missing out on the recent Final Fantasy games.

As to the new generation, PS4 seems to be generating the most buzz so far.

BlueJay

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#5 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I ended up with a PS3 because my wife knew how much I loved the FF series. So the first game I got on that platform was FFXIII, which is reasonable but very linear.

Most of the other games I have and would recommend - Skyrim, Fallout 3, Ni no Kuni, the LEGO series - I believe are cross-platform. And not having an X360 I wouldn't be able to compare systems but the PS3 doesn't give any problems to me as a system. The PS4 is the next unit to take my fancy but I'm not in any rush.

I hope you didn't get a Wii U though...
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

SOLDIERofficer81
Unflinching Android Mode: OFF

Post#6 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm

The Slider, I never did end up getting a new console. The game I was wanting turned out be really bad. Thankfully I didn't pre-order it. So, I lucked out I guess.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#7 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 am

SOLDIERofficer81 wrote:The Slider, I never did end up getting a new console. The game I was wanting turned out be really bad. Thankfully I didn't pre-order it. So, I lucked out I guess.

Ah, I didn't want to ask because I heard it was bad and was worried either you got it and were disappointed or worse, that you enjoyed it. But that's a good bullet to dodge.

Which soon to be released game is taking your fancy now? I can happily admit I'm looking at Pokemon X/Y
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Ultimate Fantasy

Post#8 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:04 pm

With the next generation there are a few titles that interest me the big one being Kingdom Hearts 3. Which is why I am leaning towards the ps4 if anything but even if I do get one it won't be for a long time yet.

The xbox one to me just sounds like a hassle to work with the security stuff. Plus as it only runs on it's side that will cause issues for me as I literally have sod all room round my desk so not being able to put it on it's end so it takes up less space will be a issue. Add the fact it's quiet a lot bigger and looks like a vcr (not that I care about console looks haha) makes me move more towards the ps4.

Though saying that the console I would say to watch is the Steam Machine (which has possibly the best console name ever haha) as it's what I see as the wild card of the next generation. I won't be getting it as I have a gaming pc and so I can already play everything on steam so don't really need/want one. But the controller is rather cool and the whole customisability of it is very interesting.

But either way I not long ago got a new pc which can for a good while keep up with the next generation of games so I have no need for a new console. If anything the next console I will be getting is a 3DS possibly so I can play Pokemon X and Y

I probably like FF14 too much

Kuroudo

Post#9 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:52 am

Hi,

Here to give my 2 cents about this generation from a rpg fan point of view and also a psx fanboy point of view.

Xbox 360
You get to play the ONLY quality turn based rpg's from this generation : Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon
These 2 rpgs are made by Mistwalker which means Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu (Blue Dragon aint all that mind you, but Lost Odyssey is woah)
I'm thinking of getting a x360 just for Lost Odyssey (i played it before but my old x360 broke down)

PS3
If you mod it (which means letting someone install cfw for you) you can play PS2 games on it
You can also play PSP games on it which means : Final Fantasy VII CC fullscreen and Final Fantasy Dissidia 1 (not 2)fullscreen.
But you also get some hot exclusive titles like The last of us, Uncharted and some other crap like Beyond 2 Souls, Heavy Rain and blabla.

Both have their pro's and cons but if you arent planning to mod your system i'd say go with xbox 360 (i'm a psx fanboy) only for Lost Odyssey.

Oh and before i forget

Wii
You will have some awesome games like Xenoblade and Last Story (Mistwalker game) and some Zelda crap but the resolution of this system is just plain horror.
I reccomend using Dolphin and playing these games in HD resolution

(Yes i know cfw and dolphin arent the nicest things for sony/ninten but ps3 ofw wont let you play FFVII CC and Dissidia fullscreen and Wii wont let you play with a 1080p resolution)

Hope this helps

Return to “General Discussion”