Cobra Kai

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Re: Cobra Kai

Post#11 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm

haaaDo wrote:I finished the 2nd season. I thought it was mostly good, it definitely kept me watching. I'm worried that the characters are going to continue to circle the drain, so to speak, until Youtube stops funding the show.

At this point, the two main characters, Daniel and Johnny, are imo artificially at odds. They're just teasing out this tension for the sake of more story. The two characters are so reasonable, and see eye to eye on a ton of things.

I'm happy that I get to see these characters again, but it really frustrates me. I really want things this story to stick a landing, but I doubt that's going to happen. It sucks for me because Karate Kid is one of my all-time favorite movies. I suppose on the upside, even though it's not perfect, and kinda forced onward, at least there's... something to watch.

This is actually why I am hesitating to take the time to subscribe and watch.

The first season did such a great job of making itself realistic, with Daniel and Johnny in the present day as adults and how things would be playing out with Daniel as a car salesman and Johnny as a down-on-his-luck tradesman living in 21st century SoCal with its culture so different from 1984.

I want to watch more of that, character driven stories, not manufactured plot.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

SOLDIERofficer81

Post#12 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:49 pm

haaaDo wrote:I finished the 2nd season. I thought it was mostly good, it definitely kept me watching. I'm worried that the characters are going to continue to circle the drain, so to speak, until Youtube stops funding the show.

At this point, the two main characters, Daniel and Johnny, are imo artificially at odds. They're just teasing out this tension for the sake of more story. The two characters are so reasonable, and see eye to eye on a ton of things.

I'm happy that I get to see these characters again, but it really frustrates me. I really want things this story to stick a landing, but I doubt that's going to happen. It sucks for me because Karate Kid is one of my all-time favorite movies. I suppose on the upside, even though it's not perfect, and kinda forced onward, at least there's... something to watch.

That definitely jives with my feelings of Cobra Kai so far. Even in S1, Daniel vs Cobra Kai seemed a little forced, a little overdramatic. Cobra Kai is just a freaking karate dojo in a strip mall. Jeez! But Daniel makes it out to be a cutthroat gang of thugs or something. I am assuming we are seeing The Karate Kid III's influence here.

Sadly, Kreese's return has doubled down on this. Could have been a masterstroke. But instead, that first episode makes Cobra Kai out ot be Kreese's sinister life work to corrupt the youth of the Valley or something. Jeez!
Last edited by SOLDIERofficer81 on Mon May 13, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Cloud Strife
The Original Roleplay Creator/Moderator

Post#13 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:08 am

Don't knock it until you finish watching it. I don't see them circling the drain. And, of course, Karate Kid 3 influence here on Daniel seeing Cobra Kai as a bunch of thugs makes sense. But again, Kreese just isn't a good man. That's just what he is. Johnny hasn't got over what happened in Karate Kid 1, he is trying to deviate away from what Kreese has done with Cobra Kai and well, I don't think it's forced whatsoever. That's funny to me that someone sees it's as forced. lol

Return to “General Discussion”