What have you read lately?

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

What have you read lately?

Post#1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:08 am

Right now I'm working on _Dracula_ by Bram Stoker.

I first picked up this book in the early 90s when the film adaptation by Francis Ford Coppola had come out. When I first read it, it was hard going due to the Victorian language and the epistolary nature of the novel, something my little preteen brain had a little trouble ploughing through.

But now that I'm 38 and having read everything from Sherlock Holmes to Aubrey/Maturin in the meantime, this reading is much easier and I am very much enjoying it.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Re: What have you read lately?

Post#2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 am

So many of Dumas, and they're all glorious:
- The Three Musketeers
- 20 Years Later
- Reading currently The Man in the Iron Mask
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Also some Tana French:
- In the Woods
- Faithful Place

And Slade House by David Mitchell

Also reading The House of Leaves but I'm scared.
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#3 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:46 pm

The Slider wrote:So many of Dumas, and they're all glorious:
- The Three Musketeers
- 20 Years Later
- Reading currently The Man in the Iron Mask
- The Count of Monte Cristo

What are the translations like? Are they all by the same translator? I read _The Count of Monte Cristo_ a long time ago. I think it was an abridged edition. I liked it and would probably like it even more now. Maybe later this summer after _Catch-22_.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#4 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:42 am

All were unabridged, and all by Blackstone Audio (I have a long commute in the car).

About the only common difference I've noted is that in some books the exclamation "The Devil!" is used to indicate surprise, and in the exact same context another book will use "The Deuce!"

I would give it another read, it is a masterful tale with almost no low moments.
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#5 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 am

I read primarily non-fiction. House of Leaves has been on my list for a while, though. I need to see if I can find a hardback version of it with all of the "features".

I recently started reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Foer. It's sort of a depressing read.

I also just bought The Oxford History of Byzantium, edited by Cyril Mango, and am super stoked for that. It's a collection of scholarly essays assembled to narrate Byzantine history from before the fall of Rome, to integration into Turkish society after the fall of Constantinople.

Do you know how rare it is to find good printed stuff on the Eastern Roman Empire? I think it's all I have outside of biographies of specific people.

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#6 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 am

Sephiroth9611 wrote:Right now I'm working on _Dracula_ by Bram Stoker.

I first picked up this book in the early 90s when the film adaptation by Francis Ford Coppola had come out. When I first read it, it was hard going due to the Victorian language and the epistolary nature of the novel, something my little preteen brain had a little trouble ploughing through.

But now that I'm 38 and having read everything from Sherlock Holmes to Aubrey/Maturin in the meantime, this reading is much easier and I am very much enjoying it.

Finished! t really moved right along. There were definite moments where I was turning pages to see what would happen next. One thing I was surprised by was all the things Dracula could do that haven't survived in the modern conception of vampires.

I mentioned someplace else I was reading and someone commented that it was much more fun than he had expected and said it was kind of an 1800s technothriller. I agree, technothriller is an apt word.

Return to “General Discussion”