The best RPG of all time, 2019

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

The best RPG of all time, 2019

Post#1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:26 am

Many many years ago, I tried to make an argument here on this topic. It was that contemporary JRPGs like Suikoden 2, Xenogears, and some others, might be objectively better than FF7. Man, was that controversial.

The prevalent thought at the time, even through the release of the following Final Fantasy games, was the FF7 was hands down, the best RPG ever. Now it's 2019, and we've seen RPGs come by that make that argument almost impossible. Not because FF7 isn't as great as it was, but because the genre has evolved and you just can't compare the "best ever" of 22 years ago with the "best ever" now.

What do we call an RPG? I think it's pretty obvious we would include both JRPGs and Western RPGs. Action RPGs like Zelda. CRPG used to be a thing: it referred to computer-specific RPGs, which was a style, like Fallout 1 and 2, and more recently Wasteland 2. You never hear of it anymore, but we'll include them. Strategy RPGs were a thing, although I can't think of recent examples. Vandal Hearts and FFT are the classic ones. Include that too. MMORPGs? They won't make my list anyway, so, let's include them.

But what about hybrid games like Red Dead Redemption 2? I would say RDR2 was the best RPG I played in 2018, and I ran around in 1st person with a pistol. Is The Sims an RPG game? You could argue it. I say let's stick to to the traditional sub-genres.

I think my top 5 would be (pretty much in order, but some are very close):

1. Witcher 3. Everything I like about western RPGs, but with a considerably better story than you typically see (it does come at the expense of choice, character creation, and story modification). Also, a MUCH better battle system. I can't imagine making a melee character in Skyrim after experiencing Witcher's combat. Open-world and sandbox style, as is typical in western RPGs, but action-RPG combat, and the whole thing is polished to the point that I think it's the best game we have in the genre. Edit: This game is probably the best example of a western RPG borrowing from the JRPG world.

2. Skyrim. Most hours dedicated to an RPG ever. Maybe even if you included my years with WoW. I don't think I need to expand too much here, but as of its release it was the best RPG I had ever played. Bethesda played a big part in exposing me to the western RPG style with their releases. Combat system could use work, outside of archery which they do really well.

3. Fallout 4. I loved this game. The factions. The sandbox feel with settlement building. The intro before the bombs drop! And for all it's detractors, that story is still vividly remembered. More so than 3. I have played all but New Vegas (in the backlog right now). For whatever reason, considering it's the same engine as Skyrim, the combat seems to work better here. I think it's the tactical aspect of pausing combat with VATS that I liked. See below.

4. Dragon Age: Origins. I loved how this game handled character creation and race selection, (human, dwarf, elf | mage, warrior rogue), and how that would actually completely alter your game start and background story. Almost MMO-like in that regard. I also liked the tactical battle system where you could pause combat, issue a bunch of orders to your party members and queue them, and then unpaused to let it play out. The story was good too; mages were sort of enslaved by the Chantry, a religious group, and if you tried to rebel they basically neutered you, mentally, and you became this robotic thing. Elves were either poor and subservient to humans, or wild and living in the woods. There was so much replay value here. Too bad the series didn't live up. I enjoyed DA: Inquisition, but outside of the Suikoden-like base building aspect, it was inferior overall.

5. Final Fantasy XV. I felt like I was playing a truly modern entry into the series. They incorporated so many western elements that I appreciate. Story was weak I think, because I don't really remember it. But, open world & sandbox game play! Multiple travel methods! Chocobos! And while I like the strategic element of the traditional JRPG action menu and turn-based combat, I just can't help but prefer the Action RPG style you see here. I think the series needed this.

I'm going to have to stop at 5, because if I go to 10 I might end up including WoW which would make me a liar.

What is your "best RPG of all time", as of 2019?
Last edited by DeathScythe on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Re: The best RPG of all time, 2019

Post#2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:14 am

Despite the fact I've been posting at this here FF7 MB for all these years, the number of RPGs I've actually played probably numbers no more than a handful.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Whatever was included on FF Anthologies
Xenogears
Xenosaga part I
Dragon Quest VII

The only two i finished were Zelda and FF7. :( Obviously, the one that held my attention the most and inspired me was Final Fantasy VII.
Last edited by Sephiroth9611 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#3 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:01 am

Do you intend to play the remake, then?

And is this because you primarily play some other genre, or because you just don't play games much?

Truth be told, the amount of times I've actually played a game in the last few weeks is probably 2-3 sittings. And that's normal. Though, I'll get into something now and then, and suddenly put in 50 hours in a couple weekends. Usually, the first play-through of something epic.

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#4 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:22 am

Definitely agree on:
- FF7
- A Link to the Past
- Skyrim
- The Pokemon Series as a Franchise (individual games are hard to rate too highly but the series is worth being involved in)

I haven't played Witcher 3 but know I should. Fallout 4 is an awesome game but I wouldn't rate it as a top RPG per se.
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#5 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:51 pm

DeathScythe wrote:Do you intend to play the remake, then?

And is this because you primarily play some other genre, or because you just don't play games much?

If there is a PC port, probably I'll give it a shot. I don't play games much. I tend to binge for a few days, a week, maybe a month, and then I leave a game for a long time, maybe even years. The only two games I have ever had the urge to play just to kill time and have fun (aside from side scrollers or stuff like Tetris) are driving games like Gran Turismo or something like Grand Theft Auto 3 where I can drive aimlessly and occasionally go on rampages.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#6 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:42 am

Pokemon is an interesting inclusion. I don't disagree, though. I spent a lot of hours with it. I'm not sure though, if neither you nor I could list a particular Pokemon game as worthy (because I agree with you, most don't rate highly) on its own, how the series really stacks up versus the other 3 games on your list. It was about friends and community, and trading, and collector mentality. Almost a digital CCG.

And yet, it's probably the last surviving traditional turn-based JRPG.

Definitely play Witcher 3! I'm due for a replay myself. One of the better stories to be found in an RPG.

As for Fallout 4, similar to how you feel about Pokemon, I thought the Fallout series needed some representation as well, and Fallout 4 is the best one. Multiple factions, Multiple endings, open world, character skills, settlement building...It had a lot.

Seph, never took you for a driving game fan! Never played much of them myself. Unless they involved violence in some way like the Road Rash series. I've played all the GTA's though. 5 was the first one I ever beat... because of the lure of just driving around and rampaging like yourself, or just parking and listening to the radio. I call that being non-productive in two different realities at once.
Last edited by DeathScythe on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#7 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:20 pm

DeathScythe wrote:Seph, never took you for a driving game fan! Never played much of them myself. Unless they involved violence in some way like the Road Rash series. I've played all the GTA's though. 5 was the first one I ever beat... because of the lure of just driving around and rampaging like yourself, or just parking and listening to the radio. I call that being non-productive in two different realities at once.

Driving games and I go way back, all the way back to the arcade and games like Pole Position. :) I should also mention Armored Core for PSX. That has a PvP mode where SOLDIER and I have sparred many times with our mechas. :)

abknight

Post#8 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 am

JRPG - Xenogears (best story and traditional turn-based combat, one of the best OST)
Western RPG - Morrowind (most immersive world)
Strategy RPG - Disgaea (most gameplay depth and content for this type of game)
MMORPG - FFXI (best everything)

I also enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, but probably wouldn't choose to replay it. FFXI ruined all video games for me. It's the only game I really still enjoy playing, 17 years later. Everything else is better as a memory.

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#9 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 pm

I have played texted based MMORPGs, but FFXI was my only graphical experience. I played it early on for a bit. It was interesting, but I didn't get into it for various reasons. My best memory from it is the Japanese players who had been in the game for awhile on the US release, so they were all high level and would help out the newbies, though they couldn't say anything in English. This one white mage was running around one battlefield reviving all the "dead" PCs, including me.

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#10 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:33 am

My main MMORPG experience has been WoW, which is a similarly nostalgic experience for me: I played it back in 2006-ish, shortly after release.

Lately I've been playing on Tauri WoW's Mists of Pandaria server, which is free, and I've really enjoyed the experience. It's the most "working" private server I have ever played on. Even the Worgen starting area, which is usually a mess on private servers.

The downside is you're playing with just a few hundred people on either side, Horde or Alliance. I will sacrifice a lot to save $15 a month.

It's funny that I originally hated the idea of FFXI, because "Final Fantasy isn't made to be an MMO", and yet I later played WoW and loved it. I have yet to ever play either of the MMO Final Fantasy games (11 and 14) despite my love for the standalone entries into the series.

Return to “General Discussion”