Steam OS for Linux

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Sephiroth9611

Steam OS for Linux

Post#1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Does anyone here use Steam OS for Linux for gaming? I have it so I can play Crusader Kings II and when I bought CKII, I got the five year edition that came with five of the DLCs.

According to my Steam OS library, all five DLCs are installed, but when I get CKII going, I am not able to access those DLCs. For instance, The Old Gods is installed according to Steam, but I can't choose the Viking Age for a starting point for a new game.

Anyone here familiar with this and know of a solution? Thank you.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

DeathScythe

Re: Steam OS for Linux

Post#2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 am

I'm not familiar with Steam OS in particular, although I appreciate what it has done for gaming on Linux in general. Currently dual-booting W10 (for gaming) and Qubes OS (for general use).

I'm assuming this problem is long trouble-shot.

Sephiroth9611

Post#3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:27 am

I got this solved, yeah. I actually don't remember how, but I think I found some bug report and solution.

Steam is pretty cool. I haven't played too much with its other OSy features besides serving as a platform for Crusader Kings II, but it has browsing and other stuff. The library of games it offers is pretty extensive.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

DeathScythe

Post#4 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Do you do any computing on desktop, or no? I'm assuing you're running Steam OS on some sort of dedicated-TV machine?

Generally anything compatible with Steam OS is also going to be compatible with your main Linux distros, especially things like Mint and Manjaro which come with pretty much all drivers.

My fear though is that when the Steam Machine thing finally dies off, we might see Linux versions cease to be released. Desktop computing is dying overall (Android has passed Windows), and Linux is still a small fraction of overall desktops.

We are also still swimming upstream with things like Nvidia drivers, and lack of DirectX12. A lot more could be possible if Linux had the support of key players in the industry. In theory, every game should run better on Linux, because the OS is lighter weight. The opposite tends to be true, due to patches and developer support.
Last edited by DeathScythe on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”