The Twelfth Doctor

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Sephiroth9611

The Twelfth Doctor

Post#1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm not into Dr. Who. But a family member came to visit who does not have BBC America, so we watched Dr. Who, the premiere and the second episode. And I am a fan of Capaldi from seeing him in The Musketeers. Although I understand why he left, I am disappointed he bailed on the show. He was a great Cardinal Richelieu.

How did you receive the new Doctor? I liked him, though his goofy antics were goofy and annoying and I'm glad he got past them by the second episode. I'm still not impressed with the show overall though. Despite his skill as an actor, it will be a heavy lift for Capaldi to keep me watching if the show doesn't change a bit to suit an older Doctor.
"Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."
Since October 3rd, 2000 | An old Citadel board

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Re: The Twelfth Doctor

Post#2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:04 am

I'm another who never "got" Dr Who despite my dad and older brother being very into it. I saw some with David Tennant which were ok, but overall I liken the show a bit to Sliders which isn't particularly high class or complimentary.

Though quite a few of my friends refer to the "new Dr" and seem impressed.
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Ultimate Fantasy

Post#3 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:38 am

I bloody love the new doctor. Finally a doctor who is a bit dark.

I have been a big fan of doctor who for a good while. But I had a large dislike for Matts Smiths last few series. They were all so boring and samey. It felt they were all written for children. It always had the happy ending. But it feels to me that has finally changed. Peter is a good change from the last few doctors who have been young. I love his lack of care and just general bitterness. It feels like its Malcolm from the thick of it just without the swearing.

To the the show changing a older actor I am actually liking it hasnt. The show is still as weird and random as it always has been. But now you have a doctor who doesn't just lap it up and gets annoyed by it. The stark difference between the Doctor and the world he is in kind of lets you see the best of both. The contrast brings to light the great aspects of them, or at least it does to me. The show will change slowly as it goes. But at the moment I am liking seeing the new Doctor reacting to the old doctors world in a way.

But yip I am loving the new doctor.

I probably like FF14 too much

SOLDIERofficer81
Unflinching Android Mode: OFF

Post#4 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:56 am

Capaldi has promise. I never warmed to Smith. Tennant was good sometimes, but I didn't watch the show enough to really like or dislike him. And I don't think I've seen any of Eccleston.

My problem with the ressurrected Doctor Who has more to do with the general tone of the show. It just has that generic look and feel that a lot of British shows have nowadays. And almost ten years on, is Doctor Who really that different in concept from the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Charmed (the genre of which I assume Doctor Who was brought back to cash in on)?
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Uncle Elmonesian

Post#5 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Doctor Who never really went away, even in it's hiatus from TV there were loads of spin-off media produced by the BBC. I love Peter Capaldi as he's playing the Doctor as he should be - an alien. That's why I liked Christopher Ecclestone. The Doctor SHOULD be dangerous.

Return to “General Discussion”