The UnOfficial SquareSoft MUD

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Madhouse

The UnOfficial SquareSoft MUD

Post#1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 pm

There's this online game called UOSSMUD. It's supposedly "based on the worlds and combat systems of your favorite Squaresoft games". I've heard about this some time ago, but never decided to give it a try. Has any of you ever played this? Anyone care to experiment with me?

Sephiroth9611

Re: The UnOfficial SquareSoft MUD

Post#2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Interesting. But I'm not into MUDs. If it was a MUSH, then I'd probably check it out...
"Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."
Since October 3rd, 2000 | An old Citadel board

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#3 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 am

I'm not familiar with this nomenclature. Can you explain MUDs and MUSHs to me? Of course, I could use Google, but why waste a chance to extend this thread in a productive way? :)
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Sephiroth9611

Post#4 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:35 pm

MU*s in general are text based multi user environments where players interact and do stuff. It is based on 1970s and 1980s code that evolved over time through the 90s. It is very much a 'command line' experience where you type in commands using a client (there are purpose built clients, but you can use any basic Telnet client if you don't want to upgrade) and things happen. For example, at the MU* I am most familiar with, a very basic command for talking in an Out of Character manner:

You type in:
+os Hey guys, what's going on?

You and your friends at the MU see:
<OOC> Charlie says, "Hey guys, what's going on?"

Multi User Dungeons are games where users log in and team up to fight in dongeon environments where the bad guys are automated. Stats are built up, weapons are acquired, but beyond hacking and slashing and lvling, there's not much to it.

Multi User Shared Hallucinations have more robust code that allows the users to develop things that allow the users to interact with each other and the environment in a way that encourages role playing and 'story telling' rather than purely hacking and slashing in dungeon environments. Of course, there are still elements of MUDs involved, but by and large users are much more free and able to do their own thing withing having to worry about being skilled in using combat code and things like that.

If you have questions because any of that isn't clear, let me know.

Madhouse

Post#5 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:17 pm

No questions at all. Thank you for that explanation. I didn't know any of that myself as well. So... any takers? Or maybe we could find a MUSH equivalent?

Sephiroth9611

Post#6 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Specimen wrote:No questions at all. Thank you for that explanation. I didn't know any of that myself as well. So... any takers? Or maybe we could find a MUSH equivalent?

MUDs seem to have a following that has defied the times, but text based games in general are pretty much dead since 1) the people who know about such places have grown up and moved on, 2) the new generation of folks out there have grown up on GUIs and have no idea what the command line is or really how to use it (does MS even include Hyperterminal in Windows these days?), and 3) MU*ing isn't really something you can do easily using a smart phone or a tablet. You really need a dedicated keyboard. At the MUSH I've played at since late 2001, the daily playerbase has fallen from 30-60 to less than ten.

Return to “General Discussion”