What have you seen?

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Saber

Re: What have you seen?

Post#11 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:34 am

Frances Ha A newage love letter to New York and my generation's post-college malaise. It's a bit like a modern version of Woody Allen's "Manhattan." I really enjoy Greta Gerwig and this doesn't have the awkward bitterness of most of Noah Baumbach's films. 9/10

Made of Stone: The Stone Roses Shane Meadows continues his stellar career with a look at the return of Manchester's seminal band The Stone Roses. If you love the Roses, you'll love this. 10/10

Sephiroth9611

Post#12 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Executive Suite, starring William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck among others, directed by Robert Wise.

This movie takes place in the span of less than two days. The president of a furniture manufacturing company drops dead on a street in New York from a stroke. A passerby steals his wallet, so the body goes unidentified. Stuff happens. :) Eventually news back home at the company's town gets around. The employees of the company deal with their feelings while the principal vice presidents start jockeying for the top spot as the deceased president left no clear successor. The board of directors is due to meet by 6 PM the day after the body is identified. Who will get the big chair at the head of the table???

Executive Suite is known for its magnificent ensemble cast which includes Holden, Stanwyck, Fredric March, Walter Pidgeon, Paul Douglas, and June Allyson for which is won a jury prize at the Venice Film Festival. The film is also known for its climactic speech (Youtube) given by the VP who gets the job based on his vision which is a stirring summation of all that a company should be and rarely is in the United States.
"Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."
Since October 3rd, 2000 | An old Citadel board

Saber

Post#13 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:07 pm

PrisonersA crime drama featuring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall. Some fantastic cinematography, the atmospherics are terrific. Jackman is brilliant. Really enjoyed this. 8.5/10

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Post#14 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:39 am

I saw Captain Phillips. I don't really like Tom Hanks, but this held my interest throughout without being exceptional, so worth a look. The actor who played Muse, Barkhad Abdi, was the highlight for me. 3/5
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Return to “General Discussion”