What have you seen?

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Re: What have you seen?

Post#31 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Clidus wrote:I'm very excited to see Detective Pikachu next weekend. That looks like a blast.

Did you get to the theater to see this? How was it?
Last edited by Sephiroth9611 on Sun May 12, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Clidus
Site Admin

Post#32 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:00 pm

It was an absolute delight. I’m not a massive Pokemon fan but I really enjoyed it, and my housemates who do love Pokemon adored it. I’d highly recommend it to anyone. They did an amazing job appealing to all audiences.

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#33 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:05 am

Saber wrote:First Reformed: What a great tale for 2018. Genuinely think one of Schrader's best works. How Ethan Hawke was denied an Oscar is beyond me.

Just watched this tonight. Ugh.

Schrader ripped off two different movies to put together First Reformed.

When it started off with Ethan starting a journal, Diary of a Country Priest. The similarities: a priest is the head of a parish that's not doing so well. The priest in his diary shares his thoughts of his own inadequacies and concerns for his health. The priest is eventually diagnosed with stomach cancer.

And then Ethan has to deal with the Michael character! Winter Light too! The similarities: a Lutheran minister is the head of a parish that is not doing so well that is located in a cold, winter setting. The minister is talking to his helper when a wife comes in and asks the minister to speak with her husband. The husband is suffering from despair due to the threat of nuclear war wiping out humanity. The minister's words aren't enough and the husband ends up killing himself with a rifle. The minister and a policeman go back to tell the wife, who is pregnant. At the same time, the minister is involved with a female helper who loves him and is concerned for his health, but he can't stand her constant attentions. The actress who plays Esther in First Reformed even wears glasses and has a similar hairdo as the minister's lover in Winter Light. In First Reformed, Ethan bawls out Esther at the megachurch with words that are recall the minister's in Winter Light.

Ethan was fine. The other actors all did fine with their roles, but being a fan of Winter Light and Diary, I found myself spending more time waiting for the beats that Schrader was going to rip off from those films that I was for the sudden romance between Ethan and Amanda at the end.
Last edited by Sephiroth9611 on Fri May 17, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Return to “General Discussion”