What have you seen?

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
SOLDIERofficer81

Re: What have you seen?

Post#21 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 pm

I like Sheridan in the second season. It's amazing that over ten years later, I can still him as Tron. But in the few years after that, he really starts aging fast.

You are right on about G'Kar. But I think the opposite happened with Londo. For good or bad, he is set on fulfilling his destiny, which is kind of boring. For me, Vir is the real stand-out for the Centauri in S2.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

SOLDIERofficer81

Post#22 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:52 am

I watched The Prestige again the other evening. The first time I watched that movie, I was mindblown. The second time, it was still a a decent movie, but it didn't have the same "WTF" impact the first watch had. And it's the kind of movie that the more I see it, the more its flaws become apparent.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Sephiroth9611

Post#23 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:04 pm

The movie definitely has flaws, but the performances make up for it.

Bale playing twin brothers is excellent at creating two different characters with their own ways of speech and physical characteristics. Hugh is great as Angier. Michael is Michael. Sarah and Wenscombe are good as well.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Saber

Post#24 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:32 pm

My favorites from 2018

First Reformed: What a great tale for 2018. Genuinely think one of Schrader's best works. How Ethan Hawke was denied an Oscar is beyond me.

Minding the Gap: Absolutely heartwrenching documentary from a group of skaters is nearby Rockford IL.

The Rider: I can not speak highly enough about this film. Using real people to tell a true story gives the film a touch of raw emotion and authenticity rarely seen.

Free Solo: A testament to the strength of mind and character in an relentlessness chase for the heights o achievement.
Last edited by Saber on Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sephiroth9611

Post#25 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:46 am

Saber wrote:First Reformed: What a great tale for 2018. Genuinely think one of Schrader's best works. How Ethan Hawke was denied an Oscar is beyond me.

I have read good things and bad things about this movie. I should probably see it one of these days. -_- I always like Ethan, so...

Free Solo: A testament to the strength of mind and character in an relentlessness chase for the heights o achievement.

I've read about this movie as well. The discussion I read included a lot of commentary about the climber's philosophy towards his girlfriend. A lot of people were also a bit overwhelmed by the movie because of the climbing. Though i have to think that if the guy had fallen and died, the movie wouldn't have been released.
Last edited by Sephiroth9611 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Sephiroth9611

Post#26 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:53 am

I watched Arbitrage tonight with Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, and others. Richard plays the head of hedge fund management company who is attempting to see his company merged with a big bank while also dealing with other stuff.

Due to investing in a Russian copper mine and having things go south, Richard's character has had to cook the books while borrowing from a friend to plug the leaks. Now the friend wants his money back, but the bank's head is continuing to postpone the saile whereby Richard would be able to pay back his friend and hide all the losses from the copper mine deal. At the same time, he has to deal with an NYPD detective who is all over him after he crashed his car on the freeway while driving somewhere with his mistress. If word got out, it would kill the deal and bankrupt his business and family.

The movie was excellent. I always enjoy Richard Gere when he's not making stupid movies about how Tibet. :) The supporting cast, including Susan as his wife, the actress who plays his daughter, and the guy whose character helps him out are all very good in their respective parts.
Last edited by Sephiroth9611 on Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Real Uncle Elmo
Founder member and Agony Uncle

Post#27 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Endgame.
Liked it a lot. Not as good as Infinity Wsr
Into the Spiderverse is still the best Superhero film of 2018 for me.
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Scooter

Ex World Record holder.

Sephiroth9611

Post#28 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:00 pm

The Real Uncle Elmo wrote:Endgame.

I haven't watched much of the MCU. Just not interested. I have been reading up on reaction to Endgame.

Were you surprised by Thanos being defeated so early? Did the characters' reactions through the rest of the movie resonate with you? Would you have preferred Clint to die over Natasha? Did you find all the time travel stuff to be plausible? Confusing? Did Tony's funeral last too long compared to the send offs for other characters? These are all things I've seen discussed.

The Real Uncle Elmo
Founder member and Agony Uncle

Post#29 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:38 pm

So.... firstly, yes I was surprised that they killed Thanos so early. It was jarring to see Thor act in that way. In fact I really disliked how Thor's character was treated in Endgame. Just one big fat guy joke. As a fat guy, I hated it.
Capt Marvel was just...arrogant. I've yet to warm to her.
Prof Hulk was ok.
Tony was amazing and Steve's arc made sense.
I was sad when Natasha died, she didn't have her redemption at all. I hope her solo film fixes that. I would have preferred Clint die, yes, though Ronin was badass.
The time travel stuff was sort of plausible. I LOVE time travel stories but it does create massive plot holes....as time travel does.
Tony's funeral was of the perfect length. It serves as a poetic bookend, as the MCU began with his rebirth as Iron Man
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Scooter

Ex World Record holder.

Clidus
Site Admin

Post#30 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:56 pm

The Real Uncle Elmo wrote:Endgame.

Spiderverse was a really surprising and fun movie. Not that big into Marvel, but this was excellent.

I'm very excited to see Detective Pikachu next weekend. That looks like a blast.

Return to “General Discussion”