Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien 'Prequel'

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Sephiroth9611

Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien 'Prequel'

Post#1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:51 am

Has anyone seen it yet? It's been out in other territories, but opening this weekend in the United States. The buzz I am seeing online is that visually it is a masterpiece, using 3D to complement rather than as a gimmick in a way that has left people gasping with surprise. But as far as story and characters, it is pretty ho-hum (not a few comments compared it to a slasher pic with the usual 'why are these people walking into trouble' nonsense) with pretty major plot holes and a final half-hour that is rushed and contrived.

I'm not a Ridley fanboy, so I probably won't be seeing it, but I'm interested in opinions from those who have.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien 'Prequel'

Post#2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:47 am

My brother's seen it (IN 3d!!!) and his opinion seemed to be "eh". Visually good, but predictable and Hollywood-y. Current plan is for him to watch all the Alien films, then we'll both go along (for NOT IN 3D!!!), so in a week or so maybe I'll have my own opinion.

SOLDIERofficer81

Post#3 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:37 pm

I haven't seen this yet. Reading about this movie at Wiki and thinking about the ads I've seen, I'm a little apprehensive. It's set in the Alien universe, which I feel is the definitive depiction of the "space trucker"/"working class in space" concept on screen. But Prometheus looks slick, along the lines of the last Lost in Space attempt. Which could really be a deal killer for me. Prometheus could be a good movie, but if it doesn't gel with the rest of the Alien universe... bleh.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Dimma

Post#4 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I saw it and was convinced; for a cinema, it was awliensome! I honestly liked it, a lot, despite (or maybe because = ) I did not like the earlier Alien movies. I had low expectations.

The actors' roles are exaggerated, emphasized stereotypes ...but with two or more twists. I think they did an unusual good job at being believable, despite being so "stereotyped". Compare with "Snow white and the Huntsman" which is less exaggerated and yet has less believable actors (I was disappointed at Snow white).

I also liked the somewhat existential perspective in Prometheus.

Sephiroth9611 wrote:The buzz I am seeing online is that visually it is a masterpiece, using 3D to complement rather than as a gimmick in a way that has left people gasping with surprise.

What a bogus buzz! John Carter was much more impressive with 3D depth and effects. I didn't really realize I watched Prometheus in 3D, it has rather subtle in 3D I think, yeah, maybe just as a "complement" = )

Sephiroth9611 wrote:But as far as story and characters, it is pretty ho-hum (not a few comments compared it to a slasher pic with the usual 'why are these people walking into trouble' nonsense) with pretty major plot holes and a final half-hour that is rushed and contrived.

Yes they are walking into trouble, and that was totally what I expected from the trailer and intro, so I can't be disappointed.

Yes there are plot holes, and I loved how they made me think myself how to fill them, and when I went out from the cinema I felt fulfilled with curiosity about the story. If all movies did that I would have: a too good time!

Return to “General Discussion”