What are you currently playing?

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Keefy

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post#41 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

For reference, and possibly the one issue people might have with Persona 3, is that you do have to level to stay on course. I cracked and had to have a scan for guides to that boss. The general consensus was to be around level 13-15. I was at level 7, I think? Anyway, still going, though I've spent a lot more time grinding to get back on course for a while (and to get that armour!), and still loving it!

Keefy

Post#42 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 am

Personally, I found Baldur's Gate 2 to be much easier than the first one, at least after you get through that initial period of not being high enough level to take on anything.

I've said it before, but Baldur's Gate 1's "You start with 1-10 hit points, and the first enemy does 1-6 damage" left you with no lee-way. You simply had to keep all your party away from the front line. Four men running away from an Ogre while two more pelt it with arrows is not terribly heroic.

Anyway, personal tip is to use plenty of mages. It's slow, but successful. Get Aerie, Nalia and Yan in your party, and then that bearded fighter/cleric bloke (whose name termporarily escapees me) and make sure you always have a few summons on the go. Also, if you're using them, archers are far less useful in the second game.

God, I love that game.

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Post#43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Sorry, Keef, I had to ban danceinsky and delete their posts. I suspected they were a spammer and I was right-- that Baldur's Gate post they made was copied from part of Cyrus' post on the first page, and the one before came from one of yours!

Anyway, been sick since last week (mostly recovered now) so haven't been playing anything with a deep story, so no P3 FES lately. I did start Return to Castle Wolfenstein and have gotten in further than I have all those years ago when I first attempted to play it, but further progress is on hold-- my speakers are temporarily disconnected from my PC, and this seems to have done something to the game's sound sync. That aside, it's decent so far, and I'm looking forward to beating it this time.

In the meantime, playing Kirby's Squeak Squad, an early DS Kirby, and one that is pretty much a standard entry in the series. Nearing the end now, and hoping it'll be the first Kirby I ever get 100% on.

Keefy

Post#44 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Hahahaha! I'm an idiot!

I'm nearing the end of Persona 3, I think. I'm about 60 hours in, and I'd say I'm probably about 75% of the way through.

It's been enjoyable, and I'll definitely complete it, but it isn't quite as good as I suspected early on. It's nice to be playing an RPG that is, without any shadow of a doubt, a REAL RPG, but it really could use a bit of polish. Those emo-angst moments aren't delivered with the same aplomb as the Final Fantasies (7,9 and 10), the combat has become a complete and unashamed grind, the FMVs are strangely poor (The anime format is good - but the actual drawing is very ropey), and the story often seems to lack purpose and an appropriate narrative. I'm really not convinced that the random dungeon is a good idea, to be honest, and I think if it wasn't for that a lot of the other issues would slip under the radar.

Which is not, of course, to suggest that Persona 3 is a bad game, because it has loads going for it, but there are a few things in there which stop it from being one of the greats, in my opinion. Will definitely take a look at P4, because there is a lot to be admired here.

I'm also a bit uncomfortable with the idea that forming "an unbreakable bond" with a girl should mean that you can nob any of her friends or classmates without repercussion.

R. Kasahara
Forums Admin

Post#45 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:50 am

Hey, no worries :)

As for P3, I think part of it that you have to consider is that Shin Megami Tensei (and its spinoffs) is an unabashedly low-budget series, sort of like Nippon Ichi's strategy RPGs, but one that seems to do as much as it reasonably can within its restrictions. I do have to agree that the anime cutscenes aren't as good as I thought they'd be, though the ones in "The Answer" seem better.

I think you're wrong about the emo-angst moments, but I also think I know roughly where you are in the game, and if I'm right, then the best is yet to come. The dungeons are grindy, but again, that's typical for this series; the randomness isn't, though, but I'm used to the concept from roguelikes, so that doesn't bug me *shrug*

Regarding Social Links with girls, I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, but I'm at the point now with one of them where she will potentially get jealous if she sees me spending time with others. I think this is why so many of my maxed SLs so far have been with male characters...

As for other games, beat Kirby Squeak Squad today (and did get 100%!) and started Kirby Mass Attack, which may have been a mistake-- not because of the game itself (it's quite good so far), but because I should be varying things up a bit.

Mercury

Post#46 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:49 am

I went crazy on the Steam sale this Summer. Currently going through Witcher 2, Need for Speed, and crawling up the online ranks in Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition.

These three are probably the best mix of games I've ever played at one time. It's really addicting, especially at night when I can't get to sleep. I use the Xbox360 wired controller on PC for all three too. Just plug that bad boy in, pour some cheap bourbon and game on till 2am.

Keefy

Post#47 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:02 pm

For a low budget series, more power to them, because they do enough to make it appear quite high-budget. The graphics and sound might not compare to the equivilant era Final Fantasy, but they're more than acceptable and the level (and quality) of voice-acting is perfectly impressive for any title.

I'm sure the best is still to come, but the emo-angst thus far has been distinctly underwhelming. This is speaking exclusively about the main plot and characters. The smaller social links I would call forgivably poor. It could yet turn it all around, but I've found the ones on offer so far to be rather detrimental to the future ones. Or perhaps I'm just being my cynical self. [spoiler=spoiler]Still, I can't help but feel that all the Ken/Shinji business has been poor and unnecessary, and that the game would have been better without both and tying up any loose ends left into other characters.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=?Spoiler?]I'm full with 3 girls, at level 8 with Fuuka, and have finally "unlocked" Mitsuru, who is at 2. I think Fuuka got a bit snotty that I was dating three other girls at the same time, but I told her not to worry and now we're all back on course. If and when something horrible finally happens to Hayate Izo (for that is he), I'll feel a lot less bad than I did for folks like Cloud or Tidus, because I can't help but view Hayate as something of a vile prick. That he is my in-game alter-ego speaks volumes.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Keefy on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#48 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Finally got around to FF13-2. It improves on FF13, but for the first time I found myself thinking, while actually playing a game, "wow, this is really badly paced".

I also was helpless to not continue my previous habit of mentally referring to all the characters as their expies. Noel is Sora so much that my brain cries.

Ultimate Fantasy

Post#49 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 pm

Anguipes wrote:Finally got around to FF13-2. It improves on FF13, but for the first time I found myself thinking, while actually playing a game, "wow, this is really badly paced".

I also was helpless to not continue my previous habit of mentally referring to all the characters as their expies. Noel is Sora so much that my brain cries.

I have this problem too ;_; though I have been keeping away from RPGs lately. My addiction to Minecraft on the xbox had grown even more and I can't stop playing halo reach in practise for halo 4 ;_;

I probably like FF14 too much

R. Kasahara
Forums Admin

Post#50 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:09 am

NOTE TO ALL: I've just added spoiler tags; you'll see the buttons when you post or edit a post. The one with the equals sign next to it is to be used if you want to title your spoiler. Keefy, might want to add some to your last post; I'd personally consider the
Yukari/Fuuka/Mitsuru
Social Links spoilers ;)

Will reserve my further thoughts on Persona 3 FES for now. Some 130+ hours in here, and still a helluva game, grindy as it is.

Return to “General Discussion”