What are you currently playing?

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Ex-SOLDIER

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post#21 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:38 am

Final Fantasy XIII (Late I know, but it's keeping me occupied), Skyrim and Street Fighter X Tekken. I'm not really making much progress with any of them but I'm enjoying them at least. Especially Skyrim. Unlike Oblivion where I think I spent every afternoon and night playing that game, clocking up hour after hour, I'm just taking Skyrim in small doses and I'm finding I'm enjoying it more.

I'm planning on posting up my opinions on FFXIII soon, especially considering quite a few of the vets here know my stance on the FF games after VIII ;)

Raveny

Post#22 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:55 am

I've been playing Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Left 4 Dead 2, and LA Noire (mainly running people over on that game for fun). I don't play video games as much as I used to though I've gotten bored of most of my games and never have money to buy new games or used games.

Keefy

Post#23 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 pm

I've finally taken a break from the evils of mmorpgs, one that I hope will last me until the grave.

Sadly, I've still been spending far more time than is necessary playing single-player rpgs. I started new games of both Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas, but didn't get very far with either. Fallout 2 I've done inside out, and NV is good but rather bleak and I wasn't feeling it enough to retread those same old waters. I also stuck a few more levels into my Might and Magic VII save file, getting all the way to the last Dungeon, but then growing bored and leaving it there.

I've played two, or perhaps more accurately one and a bit, things this week.

First off was a fan-made mod of Fallout 2 called Mutants Rising. I love the Fallout 2 engine, and I feel it opens itself up really well for the possibility of good mods. Mutants Rising was okay, but bears all the hallmark pitfalls of fan-made mods generally. Unused npcs and fully designed areas that signalled optimistic hopes that didn't match the reality, imbalanced gameplay focusing upon one area above all others - science tag skill and fetch and run quests in this instance, and the classic poor dialogue. The latter is especially frustrating because the writing in Mutants Rusing isn't nearly as bad as in other mods. It's punctuated and spellchecked, largely is in character and contains reasonable ideas and concepts. Alas that what could have been good-very good fan writing is spoiled by its delivery. Shakespeare said that 'brevity is the soul of wit', and the internet said 'tldnr'. Most NPCs give several pages of text while the PC is left with next to nothing, and soon interest is lost. Shame.* Mutants Rising could've been a contender.

The other game I've been playing, having dabbled with it a little previously but trying to give it a bit more dedicated a go this time, is Wizardry 8. W8 was released back in the "Silver Age" of PC RPGs in 2001.It is a party-based (I love!) 3d first person perspective (I hate) rpg. There's some high praise out there for it, but it didn't make great waves at the time. To be honest, it's not hard to see why. Like most 3D RPGs, the graphics haven't stood the test of time well - but that's okay. What's far less okay is the questing system. In W8, you're on your own. I'll be the first to criticise many modern RPGs for hand-holding, but W8 is downright obtuse. The quest journal is so sparse and brief in the few notes it takes to be of absolutely no use, there's often no indication of where you should be going or whether you have even completed quests, and information is gained through talking through a parser system with NPCs that even when you check the "simplified interaction" option leaves you having to run through every word you've ever heard in the game in the vain hope of getting even the slightest clue. When, inevitably, I felt I was stuck (something that is difficult to tell in W8) I used a guide and found the the solution was I hadn't ransacked every house in the town and picked up an item I needed in a house no-one had told me to go to. Then it turned out that this wasn't even necessary either.

I might have been able to get past all that had the combat been up to scratch, and that's a real shame, because there's a great concept and a great engine and it's all made utterly irrelevant by the piss-poor rpg trick of enemies levelling up with you.There are 3 fights in wizardy. Fighting a group of mobs (easy), accidentally pulling two groups of mobs at the same time (medium), and messing up and pulling three (hellish). Beyond that, I experienced no variations in difficulty in any of the areas I played in. It's a crying shame that W8 took this route, because it is sitting on a top-notch character creation system and the best party based combat mechanic of any 3D RPG I've played. Yet it's wasted because of the lack of any variation.

So while the Wizardry save runs on, I'm unlikely to load it up, and will instead get to spend another 12 months realising that I really have exhausted all of the classics from the "silver age", until next May when I will forget and try and convince myself that might and magic Viii is any good.

For the future, I'm going to try and find other things to do with my time over summer, but come Autumn I think I might make my inevitable late jump into the almos-out-of-use console market, so I can grab a copy of either Dragon's Dogma, or Lost Odyssey. I'm also keeping an eye out on Wasteland 2, which is doing everything it can to disappoint me by saying everything I want to hear. SWtOR ddi that last, and it didn't turn out well.

*The irony-ometer went off the scale here.

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#24 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Oh my god, Wizardy 8. Love that game.

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Post#25 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:15 am

Not intending to pimp my site or anything, but I just posted about everything I've been playing lately.

Still playing Persona 3 FES. It's still amazing, though some tedium has settled in. Fortunately, I think I'm near the end of the main game now. Currently have, IIRC, four Social Links maxed and something like 63% of the Compendium completed.

Also started playing Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA 2 again, now that I have brand-spankin' new cheapo padded dance mats. Forgot how tough certain songs are, too ^^;;;

Ultimate Fantasy

Post#26 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:59 pm

R. Kasahara wrote:Not intending to pimp my site or anything, but I just posted about everything I've been playing lately.

Still playing Persona 3 FES. It's still amazing, though some tedium has settled in. Fortunately, I think I'm near the end of the main game now. Currently have, IIRC, four Social Links maxed and something like 63% of the Compendium completed.

Also started playing Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA 2 again, now that I have brand-spankin' new cheapo padded dance mats. Forgot how tough certain songs are, too ^^;;;

I've been playing FES as well :D I finally beat the game as I kept having horrific bad luck with the final boss (random crits on my main character) so now I am playing the answer. Though I am not far into it.

I have also been playing Minecraft on the xbox A LOT. Seriously I play that game way too much.....

I probably like FF14 too much

Keefy

Post#27 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Continuing my desperate quest for decent western RPGs left from the silver age, I've recently plowed through Dungeon Siege 2.

Dungeon Siege 2, if you're not aware, is a combat focused rpg. It feels more of a Diablo-heavy than a Baldur's Gate-lite. It's a classic of the trouser-hunting genre, with enemies dropping a huge array of loot that means you're constantly on the prowl for new armour and weapons to find. The game also contains a fairly neat character creation system, where every character in your party of 6 (actually four, more on this later) has access to four skill trees (melee, ranged, combat magic, nature magic), with a number of branching paths to add points to. It's rewarding, because there are about 11 sub-class paths to choose from, and multi-classing is generally less effective than focusing - though you will need some extra points from extra paths.

Dungeon Siege 2 romps along enjoyably for the first couple of hours. The item finding is a pleasure, made all the better by finding rare item "sets", which can be more powerful than the sum of their parts. Balancing your inventory is worthy of thought in itself, which is cool. Equally, the levelling gives you enough to think about that there is always a sense of both what you want, and what you can't afford to miss. The characters and story are, while nowhere near the top of any genre, functional enough, and the world and atmosphere sits by happily enough.

Yet even in the early stages of play, Dungeon Siege 2 shows problems. Firstly, for all the control over your party's development, in combat your grip on events is decidely loose. Despite being able to pause and select attacks, your party will either use mirror mode "everyone attacks what the selected character is attacking" or rampage "everyone attacks anything". The game uses a threat/hate system, but doesn't really implement effective tanking. Most of the combat sits as a pure grind-fest, where difficulty is defined purely and simply by the level you are at.
Another issue is the party interactions. In DS2, your party members will occasionally hit triggered areas and start talking to you or each other. Dungeon Siege uses this a lot, and it could be to really good effect. However the game does not pause in these dialogues, you can't move or fight, and any party member taking damage will cause the dialogue to end. Since most of the dialogue triggers are when you reach certain places, with monsters, for the first time, 90% of them never get past the first 5 words before the dialogue is ripped away from you.

Then comes the longevity. Although the game can hide it for some time, the combat is very samey, and has nowhere left to run by the third act. Five screens of mob then a mini-boss is almost the entire game, and though the few boss fights offer a little more, there are only around 5 of note in game. The story is, ultimately, uninvolving and standard fantasy fare, and has no variations. Yet despite this, the game contains three difficulty settings, the upper two of which can only be unlocked when the difficulty below them has been completed. The only difference in difficulties, is that the monsters (and gear) are higher levels and you get an extra party slot (4 on easy, 5 on medium, 6 on hard). With your patience thoroughly tested on the first play-through, and with no surprises on higher tiers, there seems absolutely no incentive to do this. You even carry your previous party over, so there is no need to rebuild.

I completed DS2 on easy, and despite plans of trying to unlock the other two character slots, by the end I was far too bored to care, Meh.

Dimma

Post#28 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm

I am playing Assassin's Creed Revelations now and then.

The only thing I really like about it is the Constantinople city, it feels so alive! Huge city and so many cozy places in it. I think it's all the NPC people together with the ambient sound settings that does it.

namatamiku wrote:Loving the new SSX. Which is a huge relief, because there has not been an exceptional release in this series since 2003.

Cool I might have to try that title out.

SOLDIERofficer81

Post#29 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:35 pm

I've gotten back into Medieval II: Total War the last week or so. I'm a little older since the last time I played, so I'm not just playing England and expanding in all directions. I'm trying to have a more immersed experience, playing with more aspects of the game such as the non-combat agents. Also, I've been using the cheat codes lately, not so much to win the game on the battlefield, but to modify my family characters, trying to find a balance between some of the games arbitrariness and a desire to fine tune that aspect of gameplay.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Keefy

Post#30 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:23 pm

If you favour the poltical and economic side of Total War over the battles, then I would seriously recommend Europa Universallis III. Loses the Real Time combat, but gains an awful lot in the economy and diplomacy side of things. Enjoyable. The other game, whose name temporarily escapes me, that Ambi mentioned earlier is by the same people and may be even further up your street. However I found the demo to be dense and somewhat unrewarding in the early stages.

Return to “General Discussion”