The Citadel Test

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Re: The Citadel Test

Post#11 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:12 am

Damn that does bring back memories... Remember all those HTML table tag bombs? Good times...

This is what killed MadCow's FF7 community, and I'm still butt-hurt that at the time it happened I didn't know how to fix it yet.

Boards with active owners like PsychoCloud's, or the Citadel, you didn't have to worry about too much. The problem was that half of ITW was abandoned but developed communities anyway.

You would have to view the page source, find the offending code, and then find the link to reply to the post, and then close out the table tag in your reply. Or ,</title>....there was a lot of HTML that inserted randomly would FUBAR an ITW forum.

No account creation....I would just type "Roy D. Mercer", and now I'm Roy D. Mercer. Luckily, our IP's were on display for the world to see.

Such a flawed design in so many ways.

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#12 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Was this kind of thing used during the flame wars? Is that kind of tactic why the Citadel MB was labelled
N E U T R A L loud and clear?
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

haaaDo

Post#13 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:34 am

I think I remember that neutral tag. Despite it, we were a pretty rascally bunch too.

Deathscythe! Good to see you're still around!

Cloud Strife
The Original Roleplay Creator/Moderator

Post#14 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Yes I believe that was why.

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#15 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:07 am

Was this kind of thing used during the flame wars? Is that kind of tactic why the Citadel MB was labelled
N E U T R A L loud and clear?

I forgot all about that N E U T R A L message. And yes, although "nuking" a board, or as Roy put it in a way I haven't heard for two decades, "Table bomb", was the ultimate form of it, far beyond trolling. It was basically a Denial-Of-Service attack, to give you an important acronym in the hacker world.

If this happened at the Citadel, Ambigore would come log on in a few hours, and delete the message.

If this happened at, I dunno, DeathForce's FF7 board, no one could come and delete it (mods didn't exist: to delegate this power meant sharing your password to the board) and so we would go in and try to fix it ourselves but we were really only focused on our own community. In the case of MadCow's, it was nuked for....probably a year. Community completely died. Ambigore might have been the one to fix it eventually, based on Waybackmachine images I've seen.

Ambigore himself would probably be the best to answer the true meaning of the N E U T R A L statement, because I do think there was some sort of flame war as well that wasn't related to DOS attacking the boards. The Citadel was one of many forums I visited, but for Ambi it was his home.

Edit:
Deathscythe! Good to see you're still around!

I had to delve into your post history to figure out who you were, but holy crap! Do you know how much you influenced my musical tastes through random .mp3s you sent me on AIM!? You told me about Modest Mouse before "Float On" was on the radio....you're a legend, basically. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Annnd, you need to reach out personally somehow. Emails in my profile.
Last edited by DeathScythe on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

haaaDo

Post#16 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:09 pm

yeah man, I definitely will! Idk where you live but I'd be down to meet up if we're in the same area. Currently living in South Jersey near Philadelphia.

You were one of my favorite people way back in the day, so I appreciate that you'd say that about me. I've recently been on a Chillwave kick these days. Come to think of it, we should start a music thread...

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#17 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:44 am

We're well overdue for a music thread!

And unfortunately, I am nowhere near Philly, LOL. Still in Texas. I would be down otherwise, though.

And vice versa man, I have a huge appreciation for the Citadelers who I feel influenced the course of my life, and you're definitely included in that! Very glad to have you back here.

Return to “General Discussion”