Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

Talk about other Final Fantasy games and Square Enix-related topics.
The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

Post#1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am

Anyone else going to bother with this?

Kingdom Hearts main site

This series has a somewhat fractured place in my heart. The first game I remember very fondly, it was beautifully crafted and a novel idea of combining my favourite Disney and FF characters along with a new group of characters and storyline. The only very weak component was the gummi ship part, which was almost completely avoidable.

I haven't played the other games included (or at least partly included) in this collection, so it is capturing my attention a little bit. But for me, major problems started at KH2. It was still beautifully presented and I became intrigued by the added "Council of XIII" storyline, and the overhauled gummi ship component is awesome fun. But the major of the gameplay is so linearly boring and full of cutscenes that at time I wanted to bang my head against the wall from frustration. The combat mechanic broke as well, in my opinion, due to overreaching.

So, anyone else looking at it?
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Re: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

Post#2 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Nope. Loved KH1 (though I agree about the gummi ship segments), enjoyed Chain of Memories but thought it had some unrealized potential, and didn't like KH2, especially the dumbed-down battle system, contradictory story, and bland worlds (though, again, agreed about the gummi ship segments). Haven't played a single game in the series since.

On a related note, the FFX/X-2 HD remaster is awfully tempting, though I still have my New Game Plus save from X-2, which I've been meaning to go 100% with for years via a second playthrough.

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Re: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

Post#3 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:22 pm

I got this recently on a whim (also because my copy of Kingdom Hearts seems to have disappeared), and Final Mix is sufficiently different that I don't feel I've completely wasted my time. And the HD is good. Final Mix has its own problems though, particularly the new heartless/synthesis which becomes nigh impossible without a guide. I also get to play the some of the handheld games I couldn't be bothered with the first time. Chain of Memories is... I don't know yet, and I think I'm more than half way though. @_@ I have a feeling I just don't "get" the card system. I breeze through 99% of battles, but then the occasional boss will come along that I only just scrape by after several tries and I'm never sure how I managed it. And it's probably not the best story experience when you've already played KH2 and know who everyone is and how it all turns out.

Return to “Square Enix Discussion”