Final Fantasy XIII-2 (spoiler free edition)

Talk about other Final Fantasy games and Square Enix-related topics.
Clidus
Site Admin

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (spoiler free edition)

Post#1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Please keep this thread spoiler free.

So I've been playing XIII-2 and it's interesting. I'm still trying to decide what my opinion of it is, so forgive me if I sound rambling. I'm not too far from the end of the game, with 80ish fragments out of 160. It has a lot I like, such as the excellent fast pace battle system, the expansive, beautiful world and a lot of non-linear and optional content to explore.

The plot is just ok. I don't think Square Enix quite understand time travel and paradoxes, but it's an interesting enough story. It certainly an improvement over XIII. It also has a lot of bizarre musical choices, with a lot of singing, including an insane rock version of the chocobo theme with lyrics.

My major issue with the game though is probably its origin. XIII-2 came about because they had a lot of art assets left over from XIII. The time travel crux of the story basically allows them to jump around to these assets with no context of how the areas connect. It also allows them to reuse the same area over and over with quick colour pallet changes. I've also heard things about the ending... but we won't talk about that here.

Overall it seems like they listened to some fan feedback (its certainly not as linear), but it really isn't the quality of game Final Fantasy used to be.

Also, the moogle in the game talks. And it's not the voice you wanted him to have.

Let's be honest; this is the voice we all wanted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBG4TUPxQ0U

Cyrus

Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (spoiler free edition)

Post#2 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 am

I was told the opening has some FFVII reference. Confirm/deny?

Clidus
Site Admin

Post#3 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

The opening is a long as fight scene with lots of jumping around, crazy swords and the usual Square stuff. It's very Advent Children.

But I think I know the specific thing you're referring too...

They basically rip off Aeris' death scene :)

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#4 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Clidus wrote:They basically rip off Aeris' death scene :)

Is nothing sacred? ;)

I...haven't even bought it yet. And probably won't until I've exhausted Disgaea 4. First FF release in a long while I haven't pre-ordered.

Dimma

Post#5 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:00 pm

In what way would you anybody around say that the battles are better (if they are = ) in FFXIII-2 than in the first?

And is the story more or less - what? :) Yes, what?

Return to “Square Enix Discussion”