Replaying FF7

Talk about the original FFVII, the Compilation, the Remake, and other spinoffs. SPOILERS abound in here, so be prepared.
DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Replaying FF7

Post#1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:16 am

Hello all,

I was just wondering how many are considering replaying FF7 while we wait for this remake?

At this point, I have not done a full play-through of FF7, in.....19 years, probably. I did play it so heavily though that I wonder if it will still feel "played out", especially the beginning in Midgar which I played through even more than the rest of the game.

The risk, besides nostalgia-induced depression, is that I won't appreciate the remake as much because the liberties it takes will be glaring.

Alternatively...I never played FF6 (I know that's a sin), or FF12, despite having it on PC.

What do you guys think?

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Re: Replaying FF7

Post#2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:08 pm

I don't have a console working right now. I need to find something on Ebay or my local game shop that sells used hardware.

Even when my PS2 was functional, I was always hesitant to play after I read that the laser in PS2s burned up PS1 era disks. I had no idea if that was true, but I didn't want to destroy my original FF7 disks.

I don't think it would ruin the remake for me. I am assuming the remake is going to be its own thing, not a shot for shot affair.
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

DeathScythe
Antiquated Ska fan

Post#3 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:47 am

What about whatever you use to play CK2?

I can't speak to the Android/iOS releases, but the PC re-release from 2012(?) that you can get on Steam works great, and should run fine on Linux too if you enable the Proton service.

Sephiroth9611
Of Hidden Rank

Post#4 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:31 am

DeathScythe wrote:What about whatever you use to play CK2?

I can't speak to the Android/iOS releases, but the PC re-release from 2012(?) that you can get on Steam works great, and should run fine on Linux too if you enable the Proton service.

I will look! 8-)
Since October 3rd, 2000 | "Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Cloud Strife
The Original Roleplay Creator/Moderator

Post#5 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:58 am

I replayed it when I rebought it for PS4. I still get the same feeling as the first time I played it. It still gives me the same feel as when I used to see that splash page of the old citadel. The midi's of ff7 I'd listen to for hours on in. Makes me wish the internet didn't lose so much to the lost of time.

Reno

Post#6 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:19 am

It had been in my head for a while to replay FFVII, and after seeing the latest remake trailer I finally purchased the PC version.

I last played it in c. 2008 when I bought the old PC version and got as far as the Mythril Mines I think. I downloaded the newer PC version (via Steam) last night and played as far as Sector 5 slums. I really enjoyed reimmersing myself in the story, and especially the music, which filled me with nostalgia (of the nice, and not depressing, sort).

Like DeathScythe, I haven't done a full play-through in a long time. I first played the game 21 years ago, and it was probably shortly after that that I last played it through fully. Myself and a friend got it around the same time as one another and he managed to beat Sephiroth first.

It had been so long since I last played it that it didn't feel overly familiar. I'm looking forward to playing more later on today.

Return to “Final Fantasy VII Discussion”