FFVII Remake Megathread

Talk about the original FFVII, the Compilation, the Remake, and other spinoffs. SPOILERS abound in here, so be prepared.
Clyde Strife

Re: FFVII Remake Megathread

Post#31 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:40 pm

This is reason enough for me to get a PS4. Wahey! :D

The big question: Aeris or Aerith?

Mathew

Post#32 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:32 am

Do you guys reckon they will implement somehow Genesis in the story line?

Clidus
Site Admin

Post#33 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:20 am

Clyde Strife wrote:This is reason enough for me to get a PS4. Wahey! :D

The big question: Aeris or Aerith?

Almost certainly Aerith. That's what the compilation used right?

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#34 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Mathew wrote:Do you guys reckon they will implement somehow Genesis in the story line?

If they do they can all go to hell.

...okay, maybe I'm not that far against the developments in Crisis Core, but shoehorning Genesis into Nibelheim was completely unnecessary. I hope they re-retcon that. And I would still prefer that none of it gets significant mention. A few easily ignorable background hints towards events, sure, why not.

Actually, thinking about this I have a new fear for the remake: THE SEQUEL HOOK. Please don't.

Ultimate Fantasy

Post#35 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:25 am

Anguipes wrote:
Mathew wrote:Do you guys reckon they will implement somehow Genesis in the story line?

...okay, maybe I'm not that far against the developments in Crisis Core, but shoehorning Genesis into Nibelheim was completely unnecessary. I hope they re-retcon that. And I would still prefer that none of it gets significant mention. A few easily ignorable background hints towards events, sure, why not.

Actually, thinking about this I have a new fear for the remake: THE SEQUEL HOOK. Please don't.

I agree with not wanting genesis to be added into the Nibelhiem scene. Though I am fine with some references to Crisis Core. I particular I would love Zack to get a bit more fleshed out. As he is one of my favorite characters and in the original little to nothing is said about him.

Also on the topic of aeris vs aerith I am actually on the Aerith side. Mainly as it was spelt like that in the version I first played so that spelling is what sticks in my head.

I probably like FF14 too much

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Post#36 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:39 pm

New post: Additional Little Details on the Remake

Short version:
- Sony has known about the remake for at least a year.
- Sony has a "partnership" with Square Enix, though what this means outside of the timed PS4 exclusivity is unknown.

Clidus wrote:Almost certainly Aerith. That's what the compilation used right?

And before that, Kingdom Hearts. "Aerith" has been official canon for a long time now.

(On a side note, if this thing is fully voice acted, then that's it for being able to rename your party, I guess.)

Anguipes wrote:

Considering that there's now at least four different versions of the Five Years Ago story (the original FFVII's, the one in Before Crisis, Last Order's completely mangled take, and that Genesis bullshit in Crisis Core), I have no idea how it will play out in the remake. Genesis will almost certainly have a presence, so the devs going with the CC version, or some variant of it, seems likely. Can I get an "ugggh" here x_x

As for the sequel hook, Dirge kind of did that with its hidden ending, though they could also do something with the "500 Years Later" ending that is more of an obvious cliffhanger. I know, I shouldn't give them any ideas, but that's totally something they would do, similar to how Valve altered the ending of Portal at around the time the sequel was coming out :P

Daemon

Post#37 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Here's some "insider" info regarding the FF7 Remake. Some say the user Verendus is a very reliable insider but as always, take this with a grain of salt. It is a nice read though.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... t169176782

I'll just tell you some of what I know then. Boring, long post coming.

So when planning began a long time ago, there were several issues. It's a big game, it's very important to Kitase, and obviously Nomura, and fans. There were other issues here, but we'll just skip to the game. You're going to remake this game. Now, people will say that since there's already a story, music, script, that a lot of the work is done. This is wrong. You have a starting point, but this is very much like building a new game. That takes a very long time.

Since there's a huge difference in technology, and this is the remake of a game that exists, you have to go through, and address everything. You have to get the scenes, and then decide what you're going to do with them. Some stuff is pretty clear, and it's mostly about presentation. For example, nothing major storywise is being changed. No one has to worry about that. Cloud is still a nutcase, Aeris is still going to die, Weapons are going to run rampant, the Lifestream, and pretty much every important story moment is going to be present. That's FF7. You can't change that. But because this is a new generation of technology, and it's a proper game, that alone brings changes from a design point of view.

Now you have a balancing act of lots of small things, and lots of major things. Kitase, I can assure you, is someone who is quite involved in making sure they try to stay as faithful as possible. He's someone who worried the most originally about this project, and he's also someone who's heavily involved right now. And the original writer is back with Nomura too, so it's a big thing.

Let's use examples:

They want to integrate Zack more, so how do you do it? In the original, it's very much an optional thing, but that's not as realistic now. You can flesh it out too, but in order to integrate it, it needs to be placed somewhere. This is a technically a script change, but it's not a bad thing. It also takes work.
Characters like Yuffie and Vincent which are optional need to be integrated.
How do you tackle the implied sex scene in this game? This is going to be in the game, but it's another presentation issue. How do you do it this time, over two decades later?
How do you tackle Cloud beating the hell out of Aeris? It was fine then, but this needs to be thought about. It's kind of an important story beat for his character because of what happens next, so do you want to change it? But at the same time, is it something you're comfortable leaving in, or should it be altered a little?
A lot of the side story stuff, can it be integrated better, or will some of it have to be cut?
They need to change up the Junon infiltration a little. Red XIII being in a suit isn't that big of a deal, but the ship aspect needs to be worked on now because you have a parade, which then leads to boarding the ship, and the big boss battle. This area and sequence has to be overhauled. It's a good amount of work.

Everything related to the story needs to be addressed within the confines of the new game, and the presentation of that new game on current technology. This means going through all of that, and seeing how to fit in the important things, what to flesh out, and what to alter. Basically, you're designing everything again. There's something to work with, but it's much like creating something new due to the work it actually involves.

Separate to that, there are a lot of other things. There are a lot of mini-games in FF7, notably the snowboarding game, and also the Chocobo breeding. With the former, it doesn't make as much sense to have it happen like that, so you need to integrate it all again, but at the same time, you can still leave something as a nod for fans. How do you do this? Is it possible to do that? Then there is also the case of some stuff being replaced, and maybe Nomura wanting to add other mini-games.

Basically, it's a lot of work. They have to prioritise major things with minor things, and as time goes on, they'll probably have to do it again depending on the development progress. This doesn't mean they can't show you anything this winter. Far from it. They're at a place right now, where they have a little to show, but it's a big game, and it's still in its infancy. It's not as simple as if they have something to show, then they're really ahead of the game. They're not rushing this.

It's important to all of them to remain as faithful as possible, but at the same time, create a new FF7 for a new generation of fans as well as old, and something which takes advantage of what is available today. This means design changes, execution changes, alterations etc. And because you're not just creating something new, and have to keep in mind a beloved game, the cuts you decide to make, or the changes you decide to do, have to be careful. As time goes on, and more work is done, there'll probably be other changes too. It's also important that the creators create something that they're pleased with because this is a project that's going to take a lot of their investment, time, and effort. It's unfair to not give them a chance to show you their new vivion at least.

This game being announced right now isn't ideal. That wasn't the plan. This time last year, no one was thinking, "Hell yeah, let's announce FF7, and have fans wait a few years again! That's going to be great!"

But the problem is, PS4 isn't doing great in Japan. There are a bunch of issues, FFXV has taken longer than expected, and it's basically a crap situation to be in if I'm frank. So this announcement is there to build some faith, and also try to make people believe that there are a lot of big plans for the PS4. And there is a lot to come, but because of so many issues, it's taken time. Thankfully, since FFXV is around the corner, and KH3 is also progressing well, it's not that bad of a time really. Those games are coming soon, and this announcement happening now, as well as those games releasing should help fans believe more in companies trying their best to get content out there.

It also didn't help that FFXV had a bit of a negative shadow over it with people complaining last year when it was revealed Nomura has been removed, and then again recently when Tabata mentioned the changes. Now people know what Nomura is doing. There doesn't need to be doom and gloom over him leaving. He's busy, he's working on something. Leave him to it.

FFXV, also, can now be focused on as its own entity, and hopefully have people look at it as what it is rather than what they felt it could have been. And this game is actually coming soon, so there's something to be actually be excited for.

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Post#38 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks for posting all that, Daemon! I've linked to your post in the OP.

Reno

Post#39 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:15 pm

I couldn't quite believe the news of the remake when I saw people posting it on Facebook the other day. I must say, aside from beginning to play FF7 again a few years ago (say, 2008ish) and promising ever since to give it another go (and never finding the time...such is the humdrum of adult life), I've lost touch with what's happened--I never managed to experience any of the Compilation stuff and so I'm lost as far as that goes. I always hoped that there would come a day when the original would be remade, and I hope that the post above is a true reflexion of what they plan--i.e., something that's not going to alter the original beyond recognition.

As Dawn Treader (hi!) mentioned above too, there will be certain scenes that will be problematic in recreating because of the graphical capabilities of today compared to the original game, in which it was impossible to be explicit--Honeybee Inn, etc. I also am a bit uncomfortable with the idea of voice-acting...is this the norm in video games these days? (I'm completely out of the loop...I don't think I've even touched a games console in over ten years.) If nothing else, we'd lose such delightful and legendary inaccuracies as 'this guy are sick'.

Anyway, reading about the impending remake has got me rather excited. I hope they'll port it to PC eventually. I guess it'll be a good while before it comes out but I'll be very interested to see the finished product. Reading and posting here and thinking about FF7 has got me quite nostalgic...I guess I should go and play the original game again. It's been a long time, and in any case, it'll be a few years before we see this remake.

Clidus
Site Admin

Post#40 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 am

Nice to see you Reno!

Here is a Wired article that doesn't have any ground breaking news, but is interesting none the less:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... -different

"In terms of taking a such an iconic game and giving it a fresh feel, we can't go into too much detail but we're not intending for this to become a one-to-one remake, or just the original Final Fantasy VII with better graphics," Nomura says.

"We don't want to interfere with what makes the original title so iconic," Nomura explains. "There are certain plot points we don't want to interfere with or disturb, nor will we want to change elements that fans have very big attachments to."

"My goal with the remake is to make it apply to the current era, the current generation of players that are going to be coming into contact with or playing FFVII for the first time through this remake," Nomura continues. "I want to make it so it's relevant to the modern era, as well as having an element of surprise."

"It has to be something that riles up this sense of wonder and amazement. I don't want to change it so much that it's unrecognisable, but make sure that it's something fresh and new [yet still] recognisable as FFVII. That's what I'll be keeping in mind as I work on this."

"We're taking something that's text based with no voice over. If we add voice over to it, that will trigger some adjustments that need to be made to accomodate for that. Then, because we're making it in full HD, we'll need to think about all the resources that are needed to populate the screen. We'd need to go in and see what needs adjusting in that aspect. It's like a chain of events; 'OK, we're going to revamp this part, what do we need?', and see if there are any changes that creates. As I say, we can't go into the specifics at this point but we'll need to revisit elements within the game to see what is appropriate."

Return to “Final Fantasy VII Discussion”