FFVII Remake Megathread

Talk about the original FFVII, the Compilation, the Remake, and other spinoffs. SPOILERS abound in here, so be prepared.
Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Re: FFVII Remake Megathread

Post#11 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:04 am

I am mildly terrified. Do I want this? Do I not? How far are they along with this? Will it slip deep into development hell like so many other projects seem to have been doing?

The trailer is goddamn confusing though. It sounds like they're making a sequel, not a remake.

Cloud Strife wrote:One of the main reasons. Is to be able to enjoy this game again as a more mature adult and perhaps this place may return to it's glory so I can relive what I missed and in the right light.

Honestly, this is what I want most. A remake that respects that original fans, gamers in general, are now adults, and deals with things in a mature manner. Not swearing and sex "mature", not pointlessly angsty and dark "mature", but something that respects my intelligence.

I'm pretty sure I've said before that my ideal remake ratchets up the psychological, paranoia, body-horror, and general creepiness aspects though. Come on, this plot has the potential to be Philip K Dick meets The Thing, how is that not awesome? Never happening though :(

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Post#12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 pm

OP updated with official website links and basic FAQ-type stuff. Oh, and the latest post on the Citadel, too.

Clidus wrote:The references to Edge have me a little confused, but overall I'm pretty hyped.

Yup on the first part.

Bossanova wrote:I can't believe they pulled this whole thing off the way they did. First the ff7 troll at PSX last december, then the narrator making us think its a sequel, only followed by just the logo and the word remake.

Seeing Nojima, Nomura and Kitase on this explains why Versus was shifted to XV.
I've been hearing rumours of a 2017 20th anniversary release.

I thought it was a sequel at first as well. It certainly wasn't the best trailer they could've done...

Anguipes wrote:I am mildly terrified. Do I want this? Do I not? How far are they along with this? Will it slip deep into development hell like so many other projects seem to have been doing?

I'm ambivalent. We all knew this was coming sooner or later. The big questions for me are what will actually look like gameplay-wise, and whether or not it will bankrupt Square Enix.

Dawn Treader

Post#13 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Tentatively excited about this.

There's just so many ridiculous and silly parts of FF7 that I feel will be erased completely in a remake in order for it to seem realistic/edgy/gritty/serious. Can you imagine having Priscilla's dolphin help Cloud jump to the pylon in Juno in full HD realism? Or the super sexy hot tub funtime in Honey Bee Inn?

I think most of the charm of the original lied in those small, bizarre, oddly progressive, developers-don't-give-a-fuck moments; and I can imagine those parts being cut in favour of something that Just Looks Really Cool.

SOLDIERofficer81
Unflinching Android Mode: OFF

Post#14 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:26 pm

At the moment, I'm completely ambivalent. There are just too many ways it could go. My outlook for the remake of Final Fantasy VII may well depend on how well Episode VII turns out; both projects are kind of in the same boat in my mind. A masterful remake should be a no brainer. After so many years, it should be obvious what made the original so good, what the fans expect from a remake, and where Square has gone wrong with other FFs in the past. So, for me, Episode VII maybe a bellwether of how well TPTB recognize and execute the obvious.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Daemon

Post#15 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Anguipes wrote:I am mildly terrified. Do I want this? Do I not? How far are they along with this? Will it slip deep into development hell like so many other projects seem to have been doing?

The trailer is goddamn confusing though. It sounds like they're making a sequel, not a remake.

Cloud Strife wrote:One of the main reasons. Is to be able to enjoy this game again as a more mature adult and perhaps this place may return to it's glory so I can relive what I missed and in the right light.

Honestly, this is what I want most. A remake that respects that original fans, gamers in general, are now adults, and deals with things in a mature manner. Not swearing and sex "mature", not pointlessly angsty and dark "mature", but something that respects my intelligence.

I'm pretty sure I've said before that my ideal remake ratchets up the psychological, paranoia, body-horror, and general creepiness aspects though. Come on, this plot has the potential to be Philip K Dick meets The Thing, how is that not awesome? Never happening though :(

To me there is no doubt that I want this. I want to enjoy the game again with better graphics. I only hope that they won't dumb this down or trim the game to cater the "new" generation.

For the trailer, I think they made it a little vague on purpose to keep the audience guessing what game they are revealing. When I saw the first part of the trailer I keep thinking "it might be Midgard, or from FFXV, I am not sure". When I saw the elephant slide and the flower, I thought "no way, could this really be FFVII??". Then Barrett and Cloud comes out "F'Yeah!" :LOL:

GaryPotter

Post#16 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Wouldn't it be hilarious if this place started coming back to life because of this? Isn't this site the only FFVII site from that era that hasn't disappeared into the abyss of the Internet?

Kas

Post#17 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I think many of us thought this day would never come. It's quite hard to think of something to say now it has.

I have not played a Final Fantasy game newer than VII. I've watched @kitation play parts of each game until XIII, but I've not played them myself. I have no idea what to expect, but a wholesale replacement of the gameplay seems certain. The only "remake" I have ever played is Tomb Raider Anniversary, which I did not like, but the level design and gameplay are a much bigger part of the identity of Tomb Raider than for Final Fantasy VII. I stuck through the original VII gameplay even though I found it to be a chore, I can probably do it again.

I don't mind too much that Square Enix are updating the design and aesthetic of the game to bring it into line with contemporary RPGs. This is more-or-less what I expected. I'm only surprised that they did not take the opportunity to make this game in the last ten years, given the rapturous reception the PS3 Final Fantasy VII Tech Demo received. Having said that, a "remastering" approach would very much be welcome for mobile platforms.

What I'm more concerned about are changes to the game's story. Trends in the writing of remakes of well-loved franchises, such as Sherlock and Rebuild of Evangelion, have tended to go down the route of "remixing" story elements to provide something new an interesting for old fans. This has played out with mixed results across franchises. I don't trust the Square Enix of today to treat the story and characters with respect. I don't mean to say that I won't accept any changes at all, but it has to be done with respect.

I really can't wait to play it, especially now that the game's heritage and preservation is assured through PSN and Steam digital downloads.

Mathew

Post#18 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:21 pm

I have forgotten my previous credentials to this site ! Would have been nice. I cant even remember my username HAHA.

I have never been so excited for a game before in my life. I feel like a kid now. (23 years old). Everytime I watch the trailer I get goosebumps. I just really hope they don't screw this up. This will make or break Square-Enix.

woww! I am now waiting for Final Fantasy VII to be ported onto the PS4. Going to play through and master it like I did in my younger years. Does anyone know when FF7 will be released for download??

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Post#19 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:21 am

Not sure if this is front-page material (I've already posted two news updates today @_@), but still interesting and worth discussing here: Final Fantasy 7 remake was underway before the PS4 PC port was announced

Key points:
- According to Nomura, they wanted to remake the game with the original FFVII's staff members (I seem to remember either him or Kitase saying as such during an earlier, rumor-era interview/Q&A).
- Production was already underway when the PS4 port was announced.
- One reason for this remake is the slow adoption of the PS4 in Japan; they want to help boost sales of the system.
- It seems like the humorous elements from the original game will be kept in the remake. The way this was "confirmed" was so vague, though.

Huh, that's actually quite a bit of info. Maybe I'll make a post later (about to head out to dinner now :P). ETA: Eh, I think I'll just leave it here; it's not that meaty. Already retweeted this on the Cit's Twitter account, too.

Bossanova

Post#20 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 am

Well the remake isn't going to be the exact same game, thats for sure.
I just hope all the "core" scenes make it in and the core story stays the same. (Temple of the ancients, Mideel etc i'm looking at you)

When asked if the remake, in development for PlayStation 4, will follow the Final Fantasy VII narrative exactly or feature new elements, director Tetsuya Nomura gave GameSpot an ambiguous answer.

“We’ve announced an HD port version on the PlayStation 4, and then we have the remake coming to PS4,” Nomura said through a translator. “You’ll have this extremely, very, very pretty FFVII existing on the same plane. We feel that if that happens, it’s like, why have the same exact game?

“We think that if a game is on a certain platform and that platform becomes obsolete, then we’d recommend playing the new port version,” he added.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final- ... 0-6428247/

I do remember Kazushige Nojima wanted to add more to the original game.. its in an in interview somewhere.

R. Kasahara wrote:I thought it was a sequel at first as well. It certainly wasn't the best trailer they could've done...

Yeah i agree, i think the narrator was supposed to be speaking for the fans not the game though.
Still lost my sh*t during the announcement.

Return to “Final Fantasy VII Discussion”