Article: "Mechanics as Motif in Final Fantasy VII"

Talk about the original FFVII, the Compilation, the Remake, and other spinoffs. SPOILERS abound in here, so be prepared.
kid_z

Article: "Mechanics as Motif in Final Fantasy VII"

Post#1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:45 am

I just read this intriguing article and thought I'd share it with the board.

http://caspiancomic.com/gametheory/?p=305

I've played the game around thirteen times and I have never thought about this stuff. It all makes perfect sense to me though. What do you folks think?

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Re: Article: "Mechanics as Motif in Final Fantasy VII"

Post#2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 am

I didn't read the whole thing, but I have thought about that particular part of the game (Cloud's approach to Aeris in the Capital) a lot lately and am kinda annoyed that someone noticed and wrote about it before I did :P

Dimma

Re: Article: "Mechanics as Motif in Final Fantasy VII"

Post#3 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 pm

I never thought of those scenes in that deep sense. I simply thought of them as (guess what x) frustrating! And that they did replace what could've been text or movies. Thinking of the article, I now appreciate the scenes a bit more.

When I played Final Fantasy 12, I sometimes thought of how routinely the 12 is compared to FF7, that all of the game plays through 1) battle trips on foot, 2) some short dialog cut scene in-between each trip, and 3) some shopping in-between. You know...

FF7 was much more of a mess! Dialogs between random encounters, and interactive objects! (wow) and some story in cities.

(But I love both those games, though, they are just different)

Return to “Final Fantasy VII Discussion”