Odd old quotes from chain-smoking Nomura about FF7

Talk about the original FFVII, the Compilation, the Remake, and other spinoffs. SPOILERS abound in here, so be prepared.
Dimma

Odd old quotes from chain-smoking Nomura about FF7

Post#1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:24 pm

This is odd (news to me) from an old interview with Tetsuya Nomura about his character design in FF7:

The character designer Tetsuya Nomura is a little late and it appears he doesn't at all like to be interviewed. Even before the interview start he begins to chain-smoke nervously.

What character was the most difficult and most time-consuming to produce?
Rinoa Heartilly, Tetsuya Nomura answers quickly at the same time as he lights a new cigarette.

Is it more difficult for you to feel content with the character design when it's about creating a heroine?
For it to be fun to watch the game, there must be someone to look at, Tetsuya grins.

So the fundamental criteria for character design in Final Fantasy is that everybody must look wonderful?
I think there was a pair of characters in Final Fantasy VII that had good personalities but that did not look good, says Tetsuya and stubs the cigarette.

Is it not superficial to see it that way? Must everything be beautiful?
To look beautiful is better than being ugly, Tetsuya answers while he takes a deep drag and looks like he hasn't even understood my question.
In Final Fantasy VII was a bigger range of variety. And that character design was too odd, laughs Yoshinori Kitase.

To me the character design of FF7 is not ugly nor odd at all, so what surprised me was that Nomura wanted it to be more beautiful and that Kitase defended that adding it was too odd. Haha ^_^ those dudes, and were they nervous like written? Maybe cultural clash.

Source: Super Play, November 1999 (Sweden)

The Slider
Serious Discussion Moderator

Re: Odd old quotes from chain-smoking Nomura about FF7

Post#2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 am

Rinoa was FF8 right? I guess the were more limited by technology for FF7.
aliveonthemoon; deadonthesun

Dimma

Post#3 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah the interview was made shortly before release of FF8, and the discussion went from Rinoa to FF7, because (it seems) that was their way of defending how wonderful everybody should look (...ending up with that FF7 was too odd :-)

R. Kasahara
Senpai will never notice you.
Forums Admin

Post#4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Dimma wrote:Yeah the interview was made shortly before release of FF8, and the discussion went from Rinoa to FF7, because (it seems) that was their way of defending how wonderful everybody should look (...ending up with that FF7 was too odd :-)

To be fair, FFVIII is the game that really locked down the "Nomura style" as far as the character design goes. Nomura's work wouldn't so much as resemble FFVII's again until Kingdom Hearts, which even then has much cleaner and crisper character art.

Madhouse

Post#5 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am

So Nomura is a very superficial, nervous, strange fellow. Never would have guessed.

Return to “Final Fantasy VII Discussion”