RPing

A forum for roleplays, Final Fantasy VII themed or otherwise.

Moderator: Anguipes

Madhouse

Re: RPing

Post#131 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:11 am

Yeah, that's one aspect we hadn't thought before. So each region its own language then?

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#132 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Specimen wrote:So each region its own language then?

While personally I'd love to do that and have some serious language barriers, keeping track of who's speaking what and who understands what could get cumbersome. Simplest way would be to just have two, Wutaian and... Midgarian? But that feels a bit wrong to me.

As usual, personal opinion, feel free to disagree:

- Shinra's dominance has reduced most of the former languages of the eastern continent to little more than odd pockets and dialectualisms. Everyone speaks Midgarian.
- The same is slowly happening to the western continent. A lot of people speak Midgarian to some degree, but places like Costa del Sol, Gongaga, Corel and Cosmo Canyon still retain their own languages. (I'm less sure about Nibelheim, with its close ties to Shinra).
- Wutai has a happy mess of broad dialects, though the vast majority of Wutaians will understand the standard/administrative form of the language found around Da Chao. This is also the form of Wutaian taught abroad.
- Northern continent and Mideel I'm a lot less sure about. Personally I get the impression they were settled relatively recently from the eastern continent, so probably Midgarian again.

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#133 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Guys?

Madhouse

Post#134 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 am

Sorry! I've been terribly busy lately. I completely agree with everything you said, though I think the northern and southern regions should have their own languages as well.

MetalGhost

Post#135 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:01 am

I have no real preference, since I can't imagine we'd encounter languages other than Wutai and Common/Midgarian. Seems good enough by me.

MetalGhost

Post#136 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:12 pm

As an electrician by trade with a degree in computer science, this entire scene is... morbidly amusing.

Ultimate Fantasy

Post#137 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:58 pm

I am glad you are enjoying it. Sorry if some of it doesn't make much sense. This is coming from a A-level in physics and just someone who has a general interest in science and sci-fi stuff

I am also good with the Ang's language suggestions :)

I probably like FF14 too much

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#138 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:11 am

Sorry I'm not being particularly active, I'm still not well. Getting blood tests and crap soon to see what's wrong :S But I'm still around regularly and still reading and enjoying what everyone posts :D

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Post#139 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 am

*pokes RP with a stick*

MetalGhost

Post#140 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 am

Elder Scrolls Online came out. Been slightly preoccupied with that. My apologies.

Return to “Roleplay”